• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nankang

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought some Geo-Trac tires for my Chevy 3/4 pickup 3.5 years ago because they were cheap--like $480 mounted and balanced. I drove it a year and they were worn out. I kept driving it a little when I bought my Honda Civic, but the Civic is dead and I'm tire hunting again for the Chevy. I recently discovered the Geo-Tracs were Nankang tires and that they really, really suck at wear. I think they are made of warm butter. Also, I normally kept 80psi in the rears because I go from empty to full alot. These tires have a weak tread base and wear out in the center if you keep them at maximum inflation. I've never seen that before in a truck tire.

I'm not buying those again. The Kumho Venture ATs I had on it before that lasted for 4 full years of driving.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
my brother had nankang tires on his car, thye looked pretty nice and had awesome grip, but they were done in almost a year too

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I bought some Geo-Trac tires for my Chevy 3/4 pickup 3.5 years ago because they were cheap--like $480 mounted and balanced. I drove it a year and they were worn out. I kept driving it a little when I bought my Honda Civic, but the Civic is dead and I'm tire hunting again for the Chevy. I recently discovered the Geo-Tracs were Nankang tires and that they really, really suck at wear. I think they are made of warm butter. Also, I normally kept 80psi in the rears because I go from empty to full alot. These tires have a weak tread base and wear out in the center if you keep them at maximum inflation. I've never seen that before in a truck tire.

I'm not buying those again. The Kumho Venture ATs I had on it before that lasted for 4 full years of driving.
I think at your age you would have realized cheaper is not better.... you couldn't find a used set of a proven tire? I bought yoko Geolander for the Suburban 4 years ago..... after 30,000 miles they still looked new and they were $550 mounted and balanced for a Load D 265/75/16........ put 40,000 on the Yoko geolanders I put on the town and country (215/75/16) and they were still about 60% tread left ....... they were $575 mounted and balanced with a free replacement and road hazard warranty....... I would never buy chinese knock off tires, and it has nothing to do with them coming from china and everything to do with how they hold up which is not at all.

I remember once when I was 13 the Old Man bought Big "O" tires for his little crap box rice grinder (think it was a chevy spectrum) because they were $10 less a tire than the Grand AM GTs at less schwab. saved $10 a tire and they lasted 6 months..... the grand ams they replaced had lasted 3 years...... to this day I remind him of this when he says he needs tires.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I bought Kumhos back when they were cheap and I still have 2 of them on my B2 after 8 years--two died from ripping out the sidewall, which is natural causes. Now, Kumhos cost the same as US made tires. So I figured I'd give the Geo-Tracs a chance. I'm not bitching about them, I'm just feedbacking them.

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've sold a few of Geo Tracks before. They're the cheapest load range E tires you can find and have a similar tread pattern to Michelins. Unless the customer is dead set on the geo tracks, or poor, I try to steer them away..
I'd personally never buy them, or any chinese tire for that matter. Nankang, no thank you..

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, I'll be a son of a...... I didn't know we were getting tires from China now too. I put two Nankangs on the back of the Stang almost two years ago, but they only have like 2500 miles on them.

I mean with a name like Nankang it screams Chinese. But for some reason I guess I was just too naive to think we had stooped to importing tires from them too. The local friggin' Big O just went down a notch again on my reputation scale.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Duratrac's.....on anything they'll fit!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I've never had a better set of tires than my BFG TKO A/T's

bamaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i love my nankings i got on my truck i have the nanking sport ns-1 i have them for 3 years and right 30k on them kept 35psi and they still have a good bit of tred left i rotate every oil change which i know is a bit much but i like to get my moneys worth out of them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals