• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help figuring out how to hook up my parking brake

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello guys,

As I stated in my first post on the Introductions thread, I am a first time Ranger owner. Also as I said in that post, I got my "Frankie" off of a friends family member for $500. It had some issues, but it ran. The reason I got it at such a price, is because my friends family member (being an older woman) could no longer press the clutch.

It had been wrecked, but my friend and I replaced the front bumper, the grill, the trim that ran across the front, the drivers side headlight assembly, and the drivers front fender. At this point, I also knew that I had to replace the rear brakes, and had looked underneath to check the parking brake cable, and it was disconnected right around the back of the cab.

So far, I've been driving it with no parking brake. I've just been leaving it in first when I park. When I ordered the brake parts from the parts store (I used O'Reillys as that was the lowest price I could find), I also ordered the cables to hook up the parking brakes. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get them hooked up, but I'm not sure how they are supposed to go.

Would anyone happen to know, or have a diagram that they could share that I could use to help me hook them up?

92 Ranger Fox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
UPDATE 1:

As I was trying to find a picture or diagram that I could use to help me hook up my parking brake, I found a picture of the equalizer that's on my ranger. With this, I now know at least, how the cables hook up to the equalizer, but it doesn't tell or show me how to hook them into the brake drums.

Ranger Parking Brake Equalizer assembly.jpeg

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Remove the wheels. Remove the brake drums. Insert the cable in from the backside of the brake plate, and you'll see where it hooks to the parking brake actuating lever.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just like Bird said... the cables should have those metal four legged clips that lock into the backing plate. You do have the park brake levers... park brake strut... and rattle springs... right? The levers attach to the shoe with a horseshoe clip and wavy washer behind it.

Another note that will be helpful... properly adjust the brakes for hydraulic operation before messing with adjusting the parking brake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals