• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help with CB Problems

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to CBs, I don't know much about them at all.

I have a Uniden 520XS and a 4' Firestick antenna and I cannot hear anything but static out of the CB. It was working a few months ago, but it doesn't now.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to assume you've checked the obvious things, such as reviewing the manual, checking settings, and inspecting equipment, cables, connectors, and grounds. If not, start there.

After that, start by breaking the problem down into sections.

There's 3 broad possibilities: there's no radio signals to receive, or there's a problem with the antenna/feedline, or there's a problem with the radio.

Start with the simplest possibility first, then proceed towards the most complicated.

First, test for signals. Get a friend over who has a CB in his vehicle, or borrow a handheld CB, or whatever, and tune your radio and the borrowed radio to the same channel at the same time. If you can hear traffic on a channel with the borrowed radio, but not with your radio, then you know the problem lies with your equipment somehow.

Second, determine if the problem lies with the antenna/feedline assembly, or the radio. Do one of the following, whatever is easiest: either connect a borrowed mobile radio to your power, feedline, and antenna; or connect a borrowed antenna and feedline to your radio; or remove your antenna and feedline and connect it to another radio; or pull your radio and connect it to power, feedline, and antenna in another vehicle.

Pay attention to which parts the problem follows. If a borrowed radio works with your antenna/feedline, then your radio has a problem. If a borrowed antenna/feedline works with your radio, then your antenna/feedline has a problem.

If it's your antenna/feedline, swap just the antenna or feedline until you determine which is good and bad, then either figure out why or replace the bad part. If it's the radio, either get a new one, or pull the cover off and inspect the circuit boards and internal wires and connectors. Note any discolored circuit boards or components, or loose connectors or discolored or broken wires.

Let us know the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals