• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help with oil leak. (front main seal)

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello folks! Its been a while since I've posted here (no problems with the truck since the clutch knock on wood). However I recently built a new motor for it last august (high compression, valves, springs the whole deal) however ever since I installed it I've had a small leak coming from what looks like the front.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I didn't align the front seal on the harmonic balancer. What would the procedure be if it is indeed misaligned? is there any way to get around pulling the water pump and timing cover?

the leak is pretty small but it bugs me since basically my entire truck is rebuilt at this point and it still leaks oil. any tips or advice is much appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you just need to remove harmonic balancer and can then pull out the main seal from timing chain cover
Not sure what you mean by aligning the cover and crank, if it wasn't aligned it would be a big leak

Could the harmonic balancer have some scratches causing the seal to leak, or worn "rubber" causing a vibration

In any case with harmonic balancer off you can check it's back side to see if that's where its leaking or if its the front of oil pan

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you just need to remove harmonic balancer and can then pull out the main seal from timing chain cover
Not sure what you mean by aligning the cover and crank, if it wasn't aligned it would be a big leak

Could the harmonic balancer have some scratches causing the seal to leak, or worn "rubber" causing a vibration

In any case with harmonic balancer off you can check it's back side to see if that's where its leaking or if its the front of oil pan
i was meaning if when i put the timing cover on i didnt center it properly. (I dont remember if it has dowels). i also polished the harmonic balancer before installing it so that shouldnt be the issue. ill see if i can get the balancer pulled off in the next week or so and take a look. it could just be a crappy front seal.

leak is pretty much a quarter sized per day if i drive it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be front of oil pan, only has oil there when you drive it

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
im hoping not as removing that would likely damage the gasket i have there and leave the rubber tabs stuck next to the rear main cap

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i did try cleaning that area with laquer thinner and putting rtv on it but it didnt seem to help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals