• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need the OEM part # for the PVH hub-lockers...?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Yes, the dreaded 1998-2000 vacuum-actuated hub-lockers (aka "hubs") as seen here:

If not the whole assembly, then at least the main nylon "body" piece.

PS: teach a man to fish... WHERE IS the "approved" website for finding FoMoCo factory part #'s????

Thanks in advance!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is probably as good as you are going to get for a part number on those. Been discontinued for a long time. Ford abandoned the idea very quickly. Don;t know if anyone in the aftermarket is making replacements aside from the manual lockouts.

FWIW, I ditched the PVH back around 2006 when I discovered the system had failed and got stuck in a sand pit. Jusat distched the manual lockouts in favor of the later live axle setup. Had been plkanning the swap for years, collected the parts to do it, but never used 4wd enough to bother. Doing the V8 AWD swap, it was finally time to get it done. Even if I switch back to a selectable transfer case, I'm glad I finally converted to live axles.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
First off, THANKS MUCH for the link, Tasca looks like a promising resource, even if not for this part.

Secondly, doesn't the live-axle setup come with "heavy" steering and handling?... and reduced MPG? Just curious, part-time 4WD suits my needs... unless I do that fabled rear-mounted TURBO thaaaang!

Thirdly, V8 AWD swap, that's hardcore!... and AWD sounds like a great idea for keeping that extra power to the ground... where's the thread for your project? schwing! :cool:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Secondly, doesn't the live-axle setup come with "heavy" steering and handling?... and reduced MPG? Just curious, part-time 4WD suits my needs... unless I do that fabled rear-mounted TURBO thaaaang!

Thirdly, V8 AWD swap, that's hardcore!... and AWD sounds like a great idea for keeping that extra power to the ground... where's the thread for your project? schwing! :cool:
Couldn't tell you on the steering and handling. I e driven around for extended periods with the manual hubs locked in and xfer case in 2wd, didn't notice a difference in either vs with the hubs unlocked.

MPG, well dad's 2002 Ranger with 4.0 SOHC and live axle, gets better MPG than my 99 Ranger with 4.0 OHV and unlocked hubs. Every vehicle is different and every driver is different. Same person could drive two of the same specs trucks and get different MPG. Likewise the same truck could be driven by two different people and will likely get different MPG. I don't know anyone that has done a direct comparison between live and locking on the same vehicle with no other changes. I had intended to compare on mine, but swap ended up happening in conjunction with the engine swap, so kind of invalid now.

Not too hardcore. Everything is there, just got to get the pieces put together. No build thread, I not good at taking pictures, so nothing to post. Maybe with the upcoming suspension portion.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So then does the live-axle setup do away with that pricey sealed bearing-hub assembly that only lasts for 40k miles?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So then does the live-axle setup do away with that pricey sealed bearing-hub assembly that only lasts for 40k miles?
Live axle is still a unit bearing hub if that's what you're asking, but it's a different assembly than the one used by the PVH hubs.

40k miles? Where did you get that number? My 99 is around 210k miles. I bought it in 2005 with 80-90k. Near as I can tell it was still on factory bearings, or at least had around 110k in the same set.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
40k miles? Where did you get that number? My 99 is around 210k miles. I bought it in 2005 with 80-90k. Near as I can tell it was still on factory bearings, or at least had around 110k in the same set.
Yepper, Factory/OEMs went to 42k, replaced w/ Detroit Axle brand, and like clockwork, DONE @ 84k, put Timkens in this time... I mean I now have 87k on a '99!... that's less than 4k/year!... stuff may be dying from UNDER-use/salt-air... or curses cast on me by witches past GFs. :oops:;)

PS: what about ball-joints, how many miles you get out of those?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I mean I now have 87k on a '99!... that's less than 4k/year!... stuff may be dying from UNDER-use/salt-air... or curses cast on me by witches past GFs. :oops:;)

PS: what about ball-joints, how many miles you get out of those?
Maybe that's it. You just need to drive it more.

Can't put a number on the balljoints because I don't track it, but not nearly as many. I'm fairly certain that I've done them twice since buying it. The boots are shot so time to do it again, but I'm waiting to see if I'm going to be able to get some custom upper arms.

My ball joints may not be surviving because of excessive angle (t-bar crank) and my failure to keep them properly greased.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
My ball joints may not be surviving because of excessive angle (t-bar crank) and my failure to keep them properly greased.
Dang, I've heard SO many stories on cranking up the torsion-bars... as terms of needing new "eccentrics", etc... If I go just 2 clicks stiffer/higher, do I need anything besides a re-alignment?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have no idea what you mean. There are no clicks in this suspension adjustment.

Cranking the torsion bars isn't a problem. Overcranking the bars can be. Getting a little.more clearance for a 31 or 32 inch tire will probably. Any more and I'd want to install a lift kit. Honestly, if I stayed on 32s, I'd probably want a lift kit to take some of the preload out of the bars and get a better ride.

Eccentrics? Those are for the older I-beam suspension. There are camber adjuster bolts available that replace the upper arm bolts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals