• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need thoughts/opinions on a project idea with a 5.0L Explorer

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I know people have used Ford boxes when SAS'ing SLA IFS trucks, I don't see things being different if it was steering a TTB axle... I recall the box mounting ears don't sit flush against the frame though so you'd have to build a bracket or something for it to mount against.
Another one I've seen used for SASs is the '86-'94 Toyota IFS box.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The guy with the F150 that's parting it out only wants $100 for the front axle so I can probably get the steering box for cheap... it's going to be much cheaper than an IFS Toyota box I imagine (Toyota guys are strange folk around here... hard to find any deals). Worst case I'll stick the box on the shelf for later for the Ranger, it's steering output shaft is wobbly...

Thanks Junkie, I thought I was on the right track

That said, I fixed the 8.8 last night, the spider gears were FRIED, there was zero friction material on the passenger side clutches. Luckily I was able to find my spare LS parts which included a complete set of spiders and some spare clutches and steels so I added some extra parts (either an extra friction or steel, I think friction...) and now I can jack up the thing by the axle and take the lug nuts off with a breaker bar... Took it for a drive and am very impressed with the power of the 5.0L assuming the speedo is accurate :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, question:

Should I pull a F150 8.8 from the junk yard or put 2" wheel spacers on this thing? From my guess 2" spacers will leave it about 4" narrower than the F150 axle, will that be silly or work out ok?

I haven't touched anything on this in a while as I don't want to make the transmission worse than it is and the Ranger is finally going... I'll dig into it in May I believe if the funds are available to rebuild the transmission...

I found out after I bought the TTB D44 that it doesn't have the same feature of no carrier brakes as the TTB D35, and I got a 3.55:1 axle so I'd have to get a lower geared carrier or try to find another axle to build...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Explorer 8.8 is 59.5", the F-150 8.8 I think is 65.0"... So 2" wheel spacers would leave you 1.5" narrower than if you used the F-150 axle. Of course 2" wide spacers will add considerable strain to the axle shafts/wheel bearings (probably won't be an issue if your wheels aren't more than half-inch negative offset and you don't frequently haul weight in it).

Throwing a locker (ARB, Detroit, etc.) in that D44 would make moot the carrier break :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It would just be a wheeler, and other than hauling around the 5000lb beast I don't see myself hauling much with it other than maybe my little boat (less than 1000lb with trailer, it's small).

If it's that close, I might go with 1.5" spacers to help the bearings. I don't want any serious backspacing wheels but I'm going to be going the used route so I'll take what I find reasonably...

Thanks again Junky! I'll see what I can come up with for aftermarket carriers, a LS would be preferred :) Now to keep an eye on craigslist and such...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think it would be OK towing stuff (unless you really have a lot of tongue weight), mostly I was referring to hauling a lot of weight in the back of the vehicle itself putting undue strain (leverage) on the shafts past the bearings. 1.5", or even 1.25" spacers would certainly be better than 2" spacers.

Good luck with your search.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running 3" spacers on my race truck. Not a lot of time on them yet but they seem to be holding....But no major jumps as yet.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just to bring this to the top... to try to help motivate myself to get working on it...

First step? jump starting it and getting it closer to the garage... Before that will probably getting the F350 running and the Ranger oil leak addressed but still...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you need any TTB parts? I have a Sterling axle and dana 44/50 out of a 89 F250. You can have it for very cheap. I could probably pull out the engine crossmember for you if that would help. It's leaf spring so I'm not sure that's what you want though

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Hmm, tempting... I might have to take you up on that... Leaf spring isn't a deal breaker, I'd be making custom radius arms anyway, and that would get me more stout bearings and such as long as the rear axle has the tone ring... but like I said, that project is probably a while out, I'm thinking a couple months before I get off my rear and get it into the driveway or close, then it still needs a transmission...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't looked to check if it's a 44 or 50. Not that it matters. It has the typical 3.55 gear ratio. I bought the truck for next to nothing. I wonder if you could mount coils on top of the TTB arms to get rid of the leafs?

It will be awhile until I decide to pull them. Lots of things I'm trying to accomplish in the next 6 months. But it you are interested in them let me know

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Sounds like we are on similar schedules... I've done some looking, and the HD44 and 50 are very similar, main external difference in the HD44 is it uses tapered spindles to use the D44 hubs instead of the D60 hubs but the use the same brakes and stuff but a smaller outer wheel bearing... there's apparently some things to combine between a D50 and normal TTB D44 to get something better and that's kinda what I have in mind...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think I'm picking up a 4406 Transfer case this week for this beast, and with my tax return I'm getting the transmission rebuilt and it street legal... So, it should at least drive on it's own soon :)

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Grab the front drive shaft that was with the 4406 and a rear drive shaft from a late 90's expedition. The back bolts right in to the 4406 and the front works with just a conversion u-joint.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Finally have everything lined up and going together... Got the trans back from my buddy last Friday (apparently it was very broken, not sure how it was driving and the only symptom was no reverse...) and finished bolting it up other than the dip stick tube and trans cooler lines and cooler. While I was looking up at the starter hole contemplating if I had energy to put it up there tonight I noticed that the passenger side engine mount bolts are both broken off in the block...

Got the 4406 which didn't come with a linkage but found one in a junkyard, also picked up the front shaft from a 4.6L powered Expedition and a rear shaft from a 5.4L powered Expedition just need to get the conversion joint for the front axle...

There's a chance I'll get this thing running this weekend, it's getting closer to at least be drivable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals