• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 1999 Mazda B3000 owner

Spence2015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone. I hope the B’s are cool being here. I know they’re like a fraternal twin to the Rangers. She’s got 162,000 miles and in mostly excellent shape. I promise to search topics before posting.
CF454EC9-4DBE-4F68-8B51-ADFFD6EB8B0F.jpeg

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Hello and welcome...
No need to search before posting, just ask away if you have a problem or question. Lots of help here, and a lot of knowledge.
Also, a big bunch of "jokesters" which make this particular forum a lot of fun.
:icon_cheers:
Grumpaw

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, Mazda B-series are welcome

Nice looking truck

1999 is 3rd generation, 1998-2010, 2011 for Rangers
Ford built these from 1994 to 2010, different body panels and badging is about the only difference

You have a 3.0l Vulcan engine in a B3000, very reliable engine, used from 1986 to 2008 in various vehicles

A 4R44E 4-speed automatic transmission
Or an M5OD-R1(M5R1) 5-speed if manual

BOTH use ATF, yes automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission, NOT gear oil, so heads up :)

1999 was first year for PATS(passive anti-theft system) in V6 Rangers or B3000
The keys have an RFID tag in the handle(no batteries needed), each tag/key has a unique number
When you turn on the ignition that number is read by an antenna(transceiver) around the key slot
The PATS module, above glove box, has a list of 3 or 4 key numbers that were programmed in at the factory, the keys that came with new vehicle
If a match is found then fuel pump and fuel injectors will work, if no match then "Theft" light on dash will flash rapidly and engine will not start.

You can add keys if needed, or have a working key "cloned", number on working key is read and then copied onto another key, so duplicate cut and same number for PATS
You always want to have a spare working PATS key for vehicles with PATS

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thought I was driving an all American vehicle myself until starting to pick parts from a salvaged B-series, then started calling it my Ford-Lincoln-Mazda ;)
I'm just guestimating but figured the Rangers were built mostly USA and assembled with mostly SAE bolt sizes, and the Mazda's in Japan using metrics. Reckon Ford sent them a buncha engines and Mazda sent Ford a buncha transmissions
Not trying to re-write history but from what I learned there that was my best guess

You have a nice truck there man, welcome to TRS :)

Spence2015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, Mazda B-series are welcome

Nice looking truck

1999 is 3rd generation, 1998-2010, 2011 for Rangers
Ford built these from 1994 to 2010, different body panels and badging is about the only difference

You have a 3.0l Vulcan engine in a B3000, very reliable engine, used from 1986 to 2008 in various vehicles

A 4R44E 4-speed automatic transmission
Or an M5OD-R1(M5R1) 5-speed if manual

BOTH use ATF, yes automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission, NOT gear oil, so heads up :)

1999 was first year for PATS(passive anti-theft system) in V6 Rangers or B3000
The keys have an RFID tag in the handle(no batteries needed), each tag/key has a unique number
When you turn on the ignition that number is read by an antenna(transceiver) around the key slot
The PATS module, above glove box, has a list of 3 or 4 key numbers that were programmed in at the factory, the keys that came with new vehicle
If a match is found then fuel pump and fuel injectors will work, if no match then "Theft" light on dash will flash rapidly and engine will not start.

You can add keys if needed, or have a working key "cloned", number on working key is read and then copied onto another key, so duplicate cut and same number for PATS
You always want to have a spare working PATS key for vehicles with PATS
Thanks! I only have 1 key and was going to hit up the local Mazda dealership to have more cut from the VIN. What’s your idea on a best option?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They "may" be able to cut the keys using the VIN but after 21 years may be gone from their data base
And they will also have to add them to the PATS modules memory, which costs more, usually 1/2hour shop time, unless its a 1 hour minimum
Check the price of course and if they can do it

Most locksmiths will be less, they need a laptop with Ford software, or a handheld unit, almost all have that now
They can cut the key(s) and add them to the PATS module
So call a local locksmith and check price

You can add a 3rd or 4th key yourself, IF you have TWO working PATS keys, thats the problem, people often wait until they just have the one working key, not in your case but still the same situation, only 1 working key
I would get 2 more key made and added
If you lose 1 then you still have the option of having another PATS key cut and then adding it to PATS module yourself

You do have the option to have PATS memory erased and then just have the keys in your possession added back when PATS module is accessed, not a bad thing to do if you don't know who might have the "lost keys"

Last edited:

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals