• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new a/c parts or keep older used parts

brett387

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
i've got a 84 ranger that had the old r12 ac refrigerant in it, that leaked out before i got it. as far as i can tell, its been discharged/leaked out for a while. in stuck between getting all new parts for it, including compressor, the condensor, the evaporator core, and both new hose lines. i already got new accumulator and the orifice tube for it. i have no idea if the old compressor works or not, and i dont know if, or where the leak is at in the system. i can get the compressor, condenser, evaporator, and one of the lines for about $320 from rock auto. i dont mind spending the money for it, but id rather not spend it if its not needed. the old parts seem like they are in good shape, but i cant pressure test it as i dont have a vacuum pump, although i probably could get one. i know if you switch from r12 to r134a you gotta use a certain oil so the parts dont react with one another or something like that. also, maybe any ideas that would be an upgrade to the system to make it run better or cooler would be cool as well.
any ideas? thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd just get all new stuff. You can't find R12 anymore, and even if you can you have to be licensed the buy it, and a lot of places are starting to card for bulk purchases of R134a as well, and R134a will leak through R12 rubber.

So there you should replace all your hoses no matter what, since the system leaked out the drier needs replaced from exposure, and the evaporator, and condenser shouldn't be that expensive. The compressor is the kicker, but why put an old one on with an all new system?

Plus you are correct, PAG oil and ester oil react poorly to each other, so best not to gamble your mostly new system on used parts.

brett387

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
okay, thats what i was leaning more towards. thanks, also you wouldnt know any upgrades i could do to the ac system do you?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Upgrades as far as using different parts, no. I have seen reports of increased performance from wrapping the lines in foam tubing and heat-reflective tape.

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Look on ebay for your parts. With the money you save you could buy a vacuum pump and a new set of gauges. Get a newer compressor designed for 134a.

brett387

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
okay, i looked on ebay compared to rock auto and i was able to find the parts about $10-$20 cheaper for each part, which is good. ill be ordering the parts in the next couple days after i do more research on it. thank you for the input, ill be putting some wrapping around the ac lines like you said, if it helps the ac stay colder that would be awesome. florida sucks with no ac in the summer. thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals