• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Guy

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all, my name is Jordan.

My grandfather bought two brand new bronco ii's in 1985 and gave them to my dad and my aunt.

Dad sold his off long ago.

My aunt wanted to trade her's in and they didn't make a fair offer, so my granddad bought it back from her to keep.

He drove it for quite a few years driving back in forth, checking on cattle, etc.

I learned to drive a lot on it too and used to take my grandmother fishing in it.

Sadly my grandmother passed away in 2012 and my grandfather just passed in October.

He was a huge ford fan -- passed onto me for my love of F150's.

I'll be helping my dad with his estate. He had a ton of ford vehicles, mostly work trucks, but that little bronco is still around.

He could have ran a junk yard with all he had laying around.

So after a long read, I'm going to get that little bronco and make it my daily driver.

What I've come to ask about it there is also a 91 Ford ranger that is 4x4 he has.

I was thinking of getting all the upgrades off the ranger I could before we junk it.

What should I be looking for when I do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Sorry about your Grandpa, sounds like he was a good man.

About your questions, You really have to decide what you want first. Lots of stuff can swap over, but it's very time consuming and requires lots of mods. Lots of post in Ranger station on what's possible and how to.

You may want to ask this question in the Ranger section as they are more knowledgeable then I.

I personally would try to keep both if possible, can't have to many fords.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The '91 Ranger likely has a Dana 35 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear, both are great upgrades for the Bronco II

You could also swap the entire drivetrain; the 2.8 in the BII is quite underpowered. If the Ranger has the 2.9 or 4.0, I would swap the engine, trans and transfercase.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The '91 Ranger likely has a Dana 35 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear, both are great upgrades for the Bronco II

You could also swap the entire drivetrain; the 2.8 in the BII is quite underpowered. If the Ranger has the 2.9 or 4.0, I would swap the engine, trans and transfercase.
Ranger has the 4.0.

I am thinking of taking the two and making the bronco the one to keep..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a b2 with a 4.0/5-speed/4.10/31" tires. It was a great truck. Too bad it was a rust bucket.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ranger has the 4.0.

I am thinking of taking the two and making the bronco the one to keep..
That is a very good option.

I've had a BII with a 4.0 and it's a perfect combo.

Yours is a first gen, which makes the wiring part of the swap and bit more fun, but everything is more or less "bolt in".

The firewall is a bit different in the early trucks, but if you were to swap the dash from the ranger into the BII then everything would be bolt in and plug and play. Easy peasy. You would need to figure out fuel lines and a pump, and I believe swap the fuel tank for a newer one as the older BII tank doesn't have the right hole to mount the 89-90 BII fuel pump/sending unit, which is the one you would want.

https://www.therangerstation.com/ford-rangers-buyers-guide/1986-ford-ranger-problems-recalls/wiring-a-4-0l-to-an-original-1983-1988-dash/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/4-0-liter-engine-conversion-faqs/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-4-0l-v-6-conversion/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/4-0-liter-conversion-on-older-v-6-fords/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-4-0-liter-v-6-conversion-wiring-from-explorer-to-bronco-ii/

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That is a very good option.

I've had a BII with a 4.0 and it's a perfect combo.

Yours is a first gen, which makes the wiring part of the swap and bit more fun, but everything is more or less "bolt in".

The firewall is a bit different in the early trucks, but if you were to swap the dash from the ranger into the BII then everything would be bolt in and plug and play. Easy peasy. You would need to figure out fuel lines and a pump, and I believe swap the fuel tank for a newer one as the older BII tank doesn't have the right hole to mount the 89-90 BII fuel pump/sending unit, which is the one you would want.

https://www.therangerstation.com/ford-rangers-buyers-guide/1986-ford-ranger-problems-recalls/wiring-a-4-0l-to-an-original-1983-1988-dash/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/4-0-liter-engine-conversion-faqs/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-4-0l-v-6-conversion/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/4-0-liter-conversion-on-older-v-6-fords/

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/engines-fuel-systems/ford-4-0-liter-v-6-conversion-wiring-from-explorer-to-bronco-ii/
I would honestly like to keep the original dash.

I like the looks of it so much more. I know it is more work wiring, but I believe it is something I could figure out.

My goal would be to start with the 2.8 and drive it for a while, just store the ranger as is until I feel the need, or have to swap in the 4.0.

It basically would give me a spare trans, motor, and axles.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would honestly like to keep the original dash.

I like the looks of it so much more. I know it is more work wiring, but I believe it is something I could figure out.

My goal would be to start with the 2.8 and drive it for a while, just store the ranger as is until I feel the need, or have to swap in the 4.0.

It basically would give me a spare trans, motor, and axles.
Sounds like a good plan.

That first link I posted should describe the wiring that needs to be done in order to keep the original dash. I also have all the diagrams for a 1992 4.0 that I can post, which will be very close to the 1991 4.0. :icon_thumby:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like a good plan.

That first link I posted should describe the wiring that needs to be done in order to keep the original dash. I also have all the diagrams for a 1992 4.0 that I can post, which will be very close to the 1991 4.0. :icon_thumby:
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Next weekend I'm going to my see my parents and I'll go by my granddad's house.

I don't think I'll be able to bring the Bronco home until January, but I'll snap some pics of it and see if I can get it to start with jumper cables.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finally made it to my grandad's to get some pictures.

Looks like only 60k original miles.

Something has been living in engine bay, but I don't see any oil leaks.

Needs a paint job. Interior needs to be redone.

I would probably replace all the door seals.

It's full of junk so I didn't get any pics of the interior.

I think I'll have to tow it home and go through it a little at a time to get it going again.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are a few panels with dents, but doesn't appear to be any rot, just surface rust.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also got some pictures of the potential donor for a 4.0 and other parts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do either run?

I am mildly impressed to see the jack handle correctly stowed on both rigs :icon_thumby:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do either run?

I am mildly impressed to see the jack handle correctly stowed on both rigs :icon_thumby:
The old saying it did when it was parked comes to mind.

I suspect the bronco will be fairly easy to get running as long as somethimg didnt go nuts on the wiring.

The ranger ran really well at one time, but it has had less use than the bronco in recent years.

I can assure they were both bought new and operated by people in at least their 50's. No abuse i can think of other than sitting.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals