• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New member from the bay area

Grmln'z Garage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello all, new to the forum but been in the car scene since high school (2016) and in the ranger scene since 2019 (on my second 2nd gen) I consider myself to be an average skilled mechanic, I do all my own basic maintenance on my vehicles, and recently replaced my transmission and clutch in my '91 extended cab 3.0L. 4 days after i put in that trans my cylinder head cracked so now preparing to drop in a '94 engine since it was cheaper to get a stock engine (got a complete engine + cat for 600) than the rest of my parts for my 5.0 swap im planning (already have a drivetrain for the swap but still need a standalone ecu and a few other parts) i will be posting a detailed article on the challenges and hickups of my '91 to '94 swap as i have already noticed a couple of key differences between the engines and i was unable to find any of this info elsewhere, hope it will help out my fellow ranger community. Currently painting and dressing the new motor before i drop it in

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Grmln'z Garage ,
If you have the 94 wire harness and ECM you could be in for a treat, if not just redress the 94 shortblock with the accessories/parts needed from the 91 to let the computer run the show.

Sounds like you have the 94 from the engine to the cat, save the 91's exhaust manifold collector tubing "Y-pipe", they fall apart, leaving us with few options. Having a spare is a bonus.

Grmln'z Garage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Grmln'z Garage ,
If you have the 94 wire harness and ECM you could be in for a treat, if not just redress the 94 shortblock with the accessories/parts needed from the 91 to let the computer run the show.

Sounds like you have the 94 from the engine to the cat, save the 91's exhaust manifold collector tubing "Y-pipe", they fall apart, leaving us with few options. Having a spare is a bonus.
I dont have the harness or computer from the '94 but i dont think it will be too much work to make it work. So far there are 4 main differences ive noticed between the motors

#1) '91 has crankshaft fan vs '94 has E-fan
#2) '91 has v belt setup vs '94 has serpentine belt
#3) '91 does not have egr vs '94 does
#4) '91 has a hole tapped and threaded for a sensor towards the back of the upper intake on the driver side vs the '94 has that hole filled and has a bracket in its place for a different type of sensor

If im lucky, im hoping to be able to do this swap with just swapping the upper intake, headers, and wiring in an electric fan. would be nice to use the serpentine setup, hopefully the wires for the accessories are for the most part plug and play. wont know until i pull out my old motor and have them side-by-side. If worse comes to worse i can go to my local junkyard and splice the proper connectors into my '91 harness

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, new to the forum but been in the car scene since high school (2016) and in the ranger scene since 2019 (on my second 2nd gen) I consider myself to be an average skilled mechanic, I do all my own basic maintenance on my vehicles, and recently replaced my transmission and clutch in my '91 extended cab 3.0L. 4 days after i put in that trans my cylinder head cracked so now preparing to drop in a '94 engine since it was cheaper to get a stock engine (got a complete engine + cat for 600) than the rest of my parts for my 5.0 swap im planning (already have a drivetrain for the swap but still need a standalone ecu and a few other parts) i will be posting a detailed article on the challenges and hickups of my '91 to '94 swap as i have already noticed a couple of key differences between the engines and i was unable to find any of this info elsewhere, hope it will help out my fellow ranger community. Currently painting and dressing the new motor before i drop it in
welcome!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals