• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New shoes! BF Goodrich KO2 235/75r15 on 2010 XLT

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
After checking the upcoming weather, finally felt safe taking the Blizzaks off and putting my summer setup on. Watch as we get a blizzard or an ice storm or some shit like that in Wisconsin next week, haha. ? Anyways, my truck is a 2010 2wd XLT - stock size was 225/70r15, this is 235/75r15 with a 3" body lift and Firestone Ride-rite air springs in the back. I was on the fence about doing 31s since I know BFG is known for undersizing. These definitely seem noticeably smaller than the Blizzaks in the same size, which I was not expecting. Oh well. I don't dislike the look, it's definitely proportional and looks OEM in a retro kinda way that reminds me of the OEM , but I could've at least gone with 30X9.5 and probably will do that next time. Still feels well within the power band of the 2.3 in this size, though, so that's good. Now i just need to drill/tap the wheels so I can put my old-school Bronco II center caps with the split red center on to complete the retro rally wheel look. ??

One thing I can say is I'm surprised how civilized the truck feels with these on. I had these tires in 31x10.5r15 on my 1st gen Tacoma, and that truck rode like a dump truck with those tires. I loved that truck but man one thing I've really come to appreciate about the Ranger is that, even in a configuration that shouldn't ride well, it's pretty comfortable. Either way, it's given me a different outlook on these tires. They'll be easy to live with. Can't wait to take this thing on some logging roads. Not sure how deep I want to get modding this truck since i was planning on keeping it stock-ish for a daily driver, but, a locker might have to be my next move.

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Looks good. I plan on doing 235/75r15s on my 09 2wd this spring when I need new rubber.

Mike Tonon

I’ve got these tires on Alcoa rims. I had the 31’s. I’m glad I went back to the XLT Ranger stock size. I use them year round, though. Sometimes I think I’d rather have a smoother tread, Firestone or Michelin tire.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Best damn tire you can get.

Honestly pry wouldnt even need those blizzaks.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I’ve got these tires on Alcoa rims. I had the 31’s. I’m glad I went back to the XLT Ranger stock size. I use them year round, though. Sometimes I think I’d rather have a smoother tread, Firestone or Michelin tire.
Yeah. All the bros on the facebook Ranger page were giving me shit about not going with 33s, but having been there/done that, at this point keeping the unsprung weight reasonable and not accepting a new clutch every 40k as a fact of life are bigger considerations than they would have been a decade ago, lol. Plus I'm not planning on doing anything more hardcore than fire roads and logging roads, so it's not like I have much to gain other than looks (subjective since I actually like the stock look) by going bigger.

And, I agree, these are great. My guess is they're as good/better than the Blizzaks in the deep stuff, but ice and light dusty/slick snow is the one place where the Blizzaks beat them.

photo.jpg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah. All the bros on the facebook Ranger page were giving me shit about not going with 33s, but having been there/done that, at this point keeping the unsprung weight reasonable and not accepting a new clutch every 40k as a fact of life are bigger considerations than they would have been a decade ago, lol. Plus I'm not planning on doing anything more hardcore than fire roads and logging roads, so it's not like I have much to gain other than looks (subjective since I actually like the stock look) by going bigger.

And, I agree, these are great. My guess is they're as good/better than the Blizzaks in the deep stuff, but ice and light dusty/slick snow is the one place where the Blizzaks beat them.

View attachment 25734
Ive got them on both my 3/4 ton 2wds.

Ive never had an issue on anything with them. The KO2s for whatever reason do great on the dusty/icy shit better then the original KOs did.

Better in mud to.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Yup, had KO2s on my last truck, an '03 Tacoma, and the old KOs on a '97 F-150 before that. Never had any issues with them. They're tough as shit. Thought about going with the Michelin LTXs which I've also had great luck with, but seeing as how this truck is going to see some off-pavement use I figured my best bet was to go with the A/Ts but keep them a reasonable size. Truck has great pick-up with these, handles great, feels stable on the highway, rides better than it did with the Blizzaks. No complaints!

Mike Tonon

My friends dad had an 86 F250 Supercab long bed 4x4 with BFGoodrich tires and American Racing rims for the summer. Then for the winter he put on steel rims and narrower snow tires. He said the BFG’s were terrible in the winter.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My friends dad had an 86 F250 Supercab long bed 4x4 with BFGoodrich tires and American Racing rims for the summer. Then for the winter he put on steel rims and narrower snow tires. He said the BFG’s were terrible in the winter.
Any non-snow tire is going to be a compromise when it comes to driving in snow. If they weren't tire companies would stop making them and people would stop buying them. If one lives in an area that doesn't get a lot of snow, then snow tires would probably be a waste. If one gets up to go to work before the snow plows hit the road, one may want to consider them.

As far as BFGs like what the OP got, they have a pretty good customer reviews for handling snow on various sites but each vehicle make is different too. What tire works well one vehicle may not work well on another. You'll see that in the reviews on sites like Tire Rack. Several people with an F350 will absolutely love a tire on their truck but say a RAM 1500 or two or some people with a Nissan Xterra will talk about how horrible they are. So, your mileage will vary. For the Ranger and the KO2s, I've seen a lot of good reviews on them from multiple sites that offer customer reviews.

Mike Tonon

So for year round, all around ideal tires for the Ranger, price and appearance regardless...

KO2’s?
Michelin’s?
Firestone’s?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, if you are going for price, the KO2s, are out of the game. Last I looked, Michelin isn't much better. Firestone, General, or Cooper is probably going to be your best bang for the buck. Assuming you stick with truck tires, which I would recommend if you ever plan on hauling anything. I had some Firestone Destination A/T tires that were pretty decent in the snow on my RWD '98 Ranger.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I had good luck with Cooper Discovery AT3s and it was between those and the BFGs, but I'm a sucker for the classic BFG raised whites, especially on a black truck, so that was a factor. Set of the old Cooper AT3s lasted 60k on my 4runner but started to get a little sketchy in the rain towards the end, like most ATs. They're great bang for the buck though, and are still made here last I checked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals