• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L (Diesel) New Timing belt keep breaking

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I’ve got a Ford ranger 2011-WE. The car broke a timing belt after every 7days. I’ve already changed 4 times. With other items that need to be changed together it’s so expensive. I’ve also replace a tensioner but nothing. Pls guys help me if you can. Appreciate thank you.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I’m not familiar with that engine. But I would be looking for anything that makes it difficult to turn the cam shaft - bad cam bearings, bad wear on cam lobes, bent valve stems, bad valve guides, problems with rockers and springs, lack of lubrication, etc. are you using the right engine oil? These are just general ideas. But to break the timing belt, something must be really wrong.

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
For the engine I’ve found certain plate on top with number written “WET 1 1170338” it’s a diesel engine, I am always using synthetic magnetic Castro oil. The engine also went an overhaul on nov 2019. The check engine also is solid on.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Normally if a the timing belt breaks valves get bent

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'd also check the crank and cam pulleys for damage. A sharp edge could be slicing through the new belts...

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I expected this also, however mechanics checked and said the damages happened only on the rockers. On every belt break we found 6-8 rocker arm broken

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can the cam position sensor signifies any thing related to this problem?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How long did it run before it breaks? Did you watch it turn? See anything moving crooked?

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It took 7days running before it breaks. I’ve changed the belt 4times by now. The Check engine light has also been on for 4week now. My mechanics told me I should consider changing the sensor as there is an error which can not be cleared. In fact since we performed an engine overhaul nov 2019 the speed, the power does not look similar to where it’s was.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The Ford Rangers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico don't use the same engines as the Rangers in Africa, so it isn't likely anyone here has any in-depth knowledge about those engines. However, diagnosing these kinds of issues isn't strictly engine-specific. It just helps to be familiar with them. There is (or was) a really good Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 forum based in South Africa. There are also several 4x4 websites in South Africa where people may be more familiar with the common problems found on those Rangers. I would also suggest searching for forums in Australia and New Zealand. I think they used the same engines in the Rangers and BT50.

Gul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The Ford Rangers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico don't use the same engines as the Rangers in Africa, so it isn't likely anyone here has any in-depth knowledge about those engines. However, diagnosing these kinds of issues isn't strictly engine-specific. It just helps to be familiar with them. There is (or was) a really good Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 forum based in South Africa. There are also several 4x4 websites in South Africa where people may be more familiar with the common problems found on those Rangers. I would also suggest searching for forums in Australia and New Zealand. I think they used the same engines in the Rangers and BT50.
Do you have any Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 forum based in South Africa, could you send me the link . Big thank you buddy !

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals