• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to me ranger - chasing down code p0400

Romac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Friday I picked up a Ranger to daily drive this winter from a local dealer so I could put my ST up in the garage. Truck looked decent, not beat to death, no rust issues other than one wheel arch, ran strong 2.3 Duratec with a manual. I made them a cash offer and they accepted. It needed tires about two years ago, so Saturday I went and had new tires put on it. Other than that it’s been absolutely great, runs good, over the past few days I’ve had it, it seems to be getting excellent gas mileage.

Today leaving work the check engine light came on, truck didn’t appear or feel to me like it was running any differently so I made it through the nightmare of traffic, stopped a couple errands for my wife, CEL still on, but truck still behaving as it had the past few days I’ve owned it. Hooked up my scanner when I got home and it’s throwing p0400, which after googling is EGR malfunction. Now that being said, I know absolutely nothing about these trucks, I’ve been googling for the past hour and found that the EGR valve is apparently a nightmare to get to. Some other posts randomly mentioning that it’s likely DPFE sensors, and yet more posts saying that the 2.3 do not have DPFE sensors. So I’m basically lost at this point on what to do? What exactly should I be looking for and looking to change to get this taken care of? How concerned should I be about this? It’s not my primary vehicle so if it needs to go down for a bit that doesn’t really effect me, but it’s also stressful to have problems so soon, especially with what appeared to be a strong candidate compared to my options at the time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
RockAuto lists a DPFE for that truck, so it should have one.

Romac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RockAuto lists a DPFE for that truck, so it should have one.
Interesting any idea where it is location wise on the truck?

Also I cleared the code with my scanner, drove about another 60 miles so far, completely and totally fine and light hasn’t crept back on yet. This ones a head scratcher

fizzicks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same issue showing up with a lean code too, I cleared it 110 miles ago and it hasn't come back.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would imagine it is close to the valve, which is in a bugger spot on the rear of the head, but I don't know for sure.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 2.3 d-tech has an electronic egr valve and they are pretty damn durable from what Ive seen. P0400 is the computer equivalent of saying "I have no idea what happened". There are codes for insufficient flow, excess flow, circuit faults etc on the egr system but 0400 is just a generic fault. Personally I would just wait and see if the code re-apears. If your scanner has live data scroll down to the EGR and watch to see if its showing it open and closing at the correct times.
If it is, and no code comes back... Ignore it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals