• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to trucks- Help?

canucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No Fords.....ye
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all.
My names Sean, ive decided that i would finally like to get a truck. Ive been playing around with Volkswagens for almost 4 years now and while i love them and will always be attached, its time for me to grow some and move up to my own truck.

I was first told about this forum from a old co-worker of mine who was/is a regular user Balir Spring? lost contact with the guy and know time to figure stuff out on my own.

Im lookign for a older model 88-95? i knwo there differnent generations but there the ones that populate most of the junk yard by my house so makes it easier to find parts lol.

Im lookign for a 4wd cuz deep snow and rwd suck (fwd is good i guess). Are there any years were the 4wd systems were better? what axels are the best. keepign in mind i have little knowledge about differnces. Also are there any guidlines and a buyers guide for the 4wd systems?

Next seem like most of these trucks are standard. I do like myself standards but after driving my dads monster GMC 2500 HD with a stick i would never get a heavy duty stick shift. Im assumign that the standars on these trucks would perform more like cars then bigger trucks? are the clutches hydro or cable? how hard to change a clutch, quick search showed i had to remove the exhaust?

Now lets talk engines. Ive dabbled with vw engines learnt to never take one apart unless its broken. I no longer like diesel's. Ive done some engine work including a headgaskte but never got the diesel running. and just general tune up. also ive done a vw clutch so i know a bit. Whats the best enigne? ive heard the 2.3 dont come with a 4wd? so obvisly im lookign at the v6's (amost double my little vw engines) they fairly staright forward to work on? what kind of mpg's can i expect? Ive heard $50 takes you about 500km which is same as my gasser rabbit.

All in all i do have mechanical skills and have welded a bug floor pan and heater channels. Im lookign for just a good old cheap truck that wont guzzle gas but i can still take to the back roads should i dare.

Whats a good price range?

ill leave you here with my car--

[thanks Sean

Last edited:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ford made 4wd 2.3's, but they're harder to find now. If you want a solid 4x4 get a 93-97 4.0 4wd with a manual trans. the auto's aren't very reliable. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for a good one.

ps: pic didn't work

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
tech section will answer a lot of your questions as far as axles, engines and such. whoever said 2.3s don't come 4wd is incorrect, my buddy has a 91 on 9 inches of lift, 35x15.5x15 boggers, an 8.8 with 5.13s and a 2.3.

as far as your clutch question..you don't HAVE to remove to exhaust to get the trans out to do it, i've gotten them out without taking the exhaust off (or a body lift for that matter) but trust me it's MUCH EASIER if you either have a body lift, or have the exhaust off. hope this helps a bit..do some reading...there's a ton of good info on this site.

happy riding :icon_cheers:

canucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No Fords.....ye
Transmission
Automatic
ah ok so there are 2.3's out there with 4wd.--Whats the most common engine in these trucks? ill go with that so that parts are easier to find.

any common problems?

ill check out the tech section :icon_thumby:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All ranger engines are common, probably the 2.3 and 4.0 are more common than the 3.0

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS Sean,

I'd imagine you're Canadian by your handle...so you may want to look at rust if you're from Ontario...and the yards here have been crushing anything older than 98s...if you see plenty of older ones where you are let me know cause I need some parts myself...

Other than that, 93 to 97 would be a good choice unless you can afford newer...the prices for Rangers are still fairly high since they are good trucks...if you find a clean one with the options you want you can expect to pay upwards of $7,000 or more...I recently was pricing them and was shocked by that...

But I could have picked up a single cab 4.0 4x4 for $1,000 last year...it had been rolled but was certified and emissions tested...just couldn't fit comfortably behind the wheel...

So look for private deals...dealers are ripping people off...

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
craigslist is your friend haha

canucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
No Fords.....ye
Transmission
Automatic
wow 7grand? ive been on kijiji whoch os the most popular out here in Calgary. Theres a few that are runnign about 1200-2300 seems to be popular but lots of them are rwd

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94' B3000 mazda,came factory with a true d35,got lucky i guess.3.0l is slow but at 254,000 miles it doesnt smoke or make any unwanted noise.I do wish I had a 4.0 for the power,so something to think about.Also 93-97 ranger parts will interchange with 94-97 mazda B-series,just to keep your options more broad,but as far as custom grilles,bumpers,and lighting,not much out there for mazdas

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All ranger engines are common, probably the 2.3 and 4.0 are more common than the 3.0
4cyl 4wd transmissions are kind of a freak to find though.

What a vehicle is worth will vary wildly by location.

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
$7000?? Thats crazy,,check your local classifieds like kijiji you'll find a 93-97 for a grand or three,,2.3 4x's are almost unheard of here but there are lots of 3.0's and 4.0's. As stated above autos are not as good as the 5sp's. I've even seen a deisel or two for sale!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
yeah, well...the 'upwards of 7 grand' was mostly dealerships selling them...that's why it would be better to go private sale (like kijiji et al)...and the one i found for a grand was actually in really good shape...so they are out there...

Calgary...they don't use salt on the roads out there, do they?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals