• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie oil plug location and jack questions

twzip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi – I’m a newbie with a used 2000 2WD ranger, regular cab, xlt, 2.5L manual transmission. Can anyone tell me where the engine oil drain plug is? I do see a plug marked “drain” under the truck on the drivers side, however it appears to be located on the lower end of the transmission. Its very close to a plug marked “fill” which I’m taking to be the transmission fill plug.

Anyway, that’s all I saw – can anyone help?

Also, my truck came without a jack, so without the jack handles I can’t lower my spare tire holder. Is there an aftermarket way to get the handles (jack looks like a regular bottle jack). If I have to go the ebay route, is there any difference in the jacks – for example, I’m looking at two auctions (290191616709, 290191616308), the first is for an extended cab, the second for a regular cab. Will they both work for my regular cab? Someone said something about coil springs (which I think I have) – will the jacks work with those?

Thanks for your help

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
You can have mine for 20 bucks.

Isn't tall enough anymore

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
find a buddy with a jack handle you can borrow, then put the spare in the bed. take your $20 and go get a 2 ton hydraulic floor jack. it will work a hell of a lot better than anything ford put in there at the factory.

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Hi – I’m a newbie with a used 2000 2WD ranger, regular cab, xlt, 2.5L manual transmission. Can anyone tell me where the engine oil drain plug is? I do see a plug marked “drain” under the truck on the drivers side, however it appears to be located on the lower end of the transmission. Its very close to a plug marked “fill” which I’m taking to be the transmission fill plug.

Anyway, that’s all I saw – can anyone help?

Also, my truck came without a jack, so without the jack handles I can’t lower my spare tire holder. Is there an aftermarket way to get the handles (jack looks like a regular bottle jack). If I have to go the ebay route, is there any difference in the jacks – for example, I’m looking at two auctions (290191616709, 290191616308), the first is for an extended cab, the second for a regular cab. Will they both work for my regular cab? Someone said something about coil springs (which I think I have) – will the jacks work with those?

Thanks for your help
the drain plug on the oil pan is the one marked drain. and yes, you do have coil springs up front, and leafs in the rear.
Welcome to the site! :icon_cheers:

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On my 98 the one marked drain is the trans drain.

The engine drain is further forward on the passenger's side and is NOT marked drain (on mine at least) It is near the bottom (on the side) of the flat oil pan.

My 98 has the same jack as my friend's 94. He has 4wd TTB system, and I have a 2wd coil spring setup.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the drain is on the bottom of the engine, not on the transmission. Most engine oil drains are NOT marked.
The lug wrench is the handle for the jack. Use the flat end and turn the slot. Do you have the lockable (and keyed) winch for the spare, or is it just a holder? Look in the owners manual for info.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
geeze i havent even tryed to attempt to awnser a qestion like this in a long long time.... the only awnser i can give you is go buy a chiltons manual before you even think about doing anything to your truck. its a good reffrence point for you any time you adventure into a project that is new/diffrent to you.

twzip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks - finally got around to it after the holidays, found the right drain (right where simple_serf indicated) - appreciate the help.

RangerXLT grl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What size socket did it take ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals