• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No power after re-ring and top end

JakeinUtah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
'93 4.0 V6

As the title suggests, I re-ringed the cylinders, replaced the head gasket, did the valve seals, and lapped the valves to the head after low compression in cylinder #6. After putting it all back together, the compression in 6 went back up, but the compression in another cylinder dropped to nil. I also lost vacuum. After trying to find the leak, I determined the vacuum leak must be coming from an intake valve not closing all the way. I opened the truck back up, monkeyed around some more, and now she has vacuum, but not a lot of power. Compression is pretty garbage in a few cylinders. I can mess around under the hood and get the compression to go up with shims on top of the valves, but then it loses power (maybe not breathing out well enough?). If I had to guess, I would think that this is a case of the lifters not doing what they are supposed to. In some cylinders the push rod is in constant contact with the rocker arm (even when the valve is fully closed). In other instances there is a noticeable gap when the valve is fully closed. In these cases I can wiggle the pushrod a little bit at BDC or TDC for that cylinder, respective to when the valve is fully closed. There is also lifter noise now when there wasn't before I took the heads off for the top end work. This is the first motor with lifters I have done, is there something I did wrong?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
My guess is that a few lifters need to pump up

JakeinUtah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's been driven about a hundred miles without improvement. Am I supposed pump up the lifters manually somehow?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals