• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no power to a/c low pressure switch

royrokit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
2003 Ranger 4.0 Automatic. Have no power from (or to a/c off/on switch), out to low pressure switch, to high pressure switch and ultimately to Compressor. Have checked relay under hood and fuses under hood and passenger compartment and none blown. Kinda stumped here. Just not powered. Have not pulled Climate Control Panel to check for power there, but nothing unusual has happened to really warrant no power to control panel. Heater works fine, blower, everything but turning on a/c.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you haven't pulled the climate head and tested back there how do you know there is no power to the AC on/off switch?

royrokit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Well the reason i haven't pulled the panel yet, is like I said , I've had no unusual occurances to think that anything could have arbitrarily just gone wrong back there, but you're right, I do need to find out if the plug is hot to the control, but as I said, everything else works except there is no power at the low pressure switch and I assume that is next in line from the off/on switch. I appreciate your response.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the reason i haven't pulled the panel yet, is like I said , I've had no unusual occurances to think that anything could have arbitrarily just gone wrong back there, but you're right, I do need to find out if the plug is hot to the control, but as I said, everything else works except there is no power at the low pressure switch and I assume that is next in line from the off/on switch. I appreciate your response.
And just exactly what kind of "unusual occurrence" are you expecting to precipitate, or indicate, than an electrical switch has failed, aside of course, from the item it controls to not work?

royrokit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Since the connector to the a/c control usually plugs in and locks in by snaps, (acording to online searches) I'm sure there should be no reason for it to come unplugged. Everything else still works. No blown fuses, relays in outside fuse box have been tested and no problems. I am basically seeking information as to why it would just suddenly have no power. Do you have any other suggestions? Could it actually be the off/on switch itself? Is that a normal failure over time? The vehicle is never abused, the dash has never been diassembled for any reason. Everything on the dash panel works as normal as day one except, the a/c mode on the switch. Neither a/c or Max a/c works. Blows air through the proper vents, everything but feed power out to the system. Switch on the contol panel bad? I tested the relay, it's good and has good resistance of around .73, mynute resistance across 30 to 87 poles with 12v applied and good voltage, opens and closes. Tested fuse and fuse socket, there is power there . There is no power at the low pressure switch, the high pressure switch or the compressor.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok. Since the connector to the a/c control usually plugs in and locks in by snaps, (acording to online searches) I'm sure there should be no reason for it to come unplugged. Everything else still works. No blown fuses, relays in outside fuse box have been tested and no problems. I am basically seeking information as to why it would just suddenly have no power. Do you have any other suggestions? Could it actually be the off/on switch itself? Is that a normal failure over time? The vehicle is never abused, the dash has never been diassembled for any reason. Everything on the dash panel works as normal as day one except, the a/c mode on the switch. Neither a/c or Max a/c works. Blows air through the proper vents, everything but feed power out to the system. Switch on the contol panel bad? I tested the relay, it's good and has good resistance of around .73, minute resistance across 30 to 87 poles with 12v applied and good voltage, opens and closes. Tested fuse and fuse socket, there is power there . There is no power at the low pressure switch, the high pressure switch or the compressor.

The switch can just fail like that. It has contacts that take wear every time the switch is moved. If just the post that powers the AC system is worn out it would cause this.

I don't have the diagrams for that truck on hand, so I don't know if the AC pole gets its power from somewhere different than the rest of the system or not.

royrokit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Thanks for you help with this. I will pull out that Control panel and check power to it and replace the switch if necessary. Will post the results to you. Thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals