• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Northern truck prices vs southern truck prices.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not for me. You know what Yugo is short for, right? Yugo but it don't!

While we're talking about Russian automobiles, I don't think I'd want a Lada, either. They spend a lada time in the repair shop, from what I hear.
Юго не русский. Это югославский.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My butt itches...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Recently while I was down in Georgia me and my brother in law got to discussing buying old trucks. I mentioned the price for clean rangers up north was skyrocketing and it's not uncommon to see clean 20+ year old rangers selling for close to 10k.

He said down there he can buy rust free rangers for less than a couple grand.

This got me thinking, anyone ever consider making a business of buying and moving clean southern trucks up north to resell at a profit?
"Northern Trucks" may be 4WD too where southern trucks may be 2WD...many skip the 4WD in states where snow/ice isn't a problem, or they just didn't want it because its so expensive to maintain ;).

Many people in areas where hunting is common love the old compact pickups (Rangers, S10's, Dakotas, Nissan D21's, Mazda B-Series, etc) because rather than spending a ton of money on one of those side by sides they can buy 1 vehicle and use it all year regardless of conditions and can drive it to work, etc.

I wouldn't make a business out of trying to sell old trucks LOL, but hey if you got the money and time you probably could to a certain extent, but keep in mind like I said previously you will probably find a lot of those cheap trucks are 4x2's and won't sell as well up north, and vice versa, people down south probably don't have a need for a 4x4 like those up north and in hunting states do....course if you can get a good 4x4 compact pickup for $2k that isn't trashed and bring it north and sell it for $3k you might break even in fuel, travel time, etc. You'd have to be getting them for a few hundred bucks to really get ahead of the game, and sadly those older compact pickups are slowly going to the scrappers.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Northern Trucks" may be 4WD too where southern trucks may be 2WD...many skip the 4WD in states where snow/ice isn't a problem, or they just didn't want it because its so expensive to maintain ;).

Many people in areas where hunting is common love the old compact pickups (Rangers, S10's, Dakotas, Nissan D21's, Mazda B-Series, etc) because rather than spending a ton of money on one of those side by sides they can buy 1 vehicle and use it all year regardless of conditions and can drive it to work, etc.

I wouldn't make a business out of trying to sell old trucks LOL, but hey if you got the money and time you probably could to a certain extent, but keep in mind like I said previously you will probably find a lot of those cheap trucks are 4x2's and won't sell as well up north, and vice versa, people down south probably don't have a need for a 4x4 like those up north and in hunting states do....course if you can get a good 4x4 compact pickup for $2k that isn't trashed and bring it north and sell it for $3k you might break even in fuel, travel time, etc. You'd have to be getting them for a few hundred bucks to really get ahead of the game, and sadly those older compact pickups are slowly going to the scrappers.
Ive thought about making a business out of it, but there are two problems...

1- I dont have the time.

2- Id pry end up keeping the majority of them.

But there could be money in it, ive seen trucks for sale down south that you could literally put on a trailer, bring up here, and double, maybe even triple your money.

Old square bodies, 73-79 Fords, 92-96 fords, 67-72 chevys, all get ate up pretty quick up here at top dollar if they are clean and somewhat run.

A buddy of mine bought a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd when he live in georgia, had a 350, nice truck but nothin special, IIRC he paid 1800 for it.

Moved back to michigan and sold it for 5000 within a week of posting it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Ive thought about making a business out of it, but there are two problems...

1- I dont have the time.

2- Id pry end up keeping the majority of them.

But there could be money in it, ive seen trucks for sale down south that you could literally put on a trailer, bring up here, and double, maybe even triple your money.

Old square bodies, 73-79 Fords, 92-96 fords, 67-72 chevys, all get ate up pretty quick up here at top dollar if they are clean and somewhat run.

A buddy of mine bought a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd when he live in georgia, had a 350, nice truck but nothin special, IIRC he paid 1800 for it.

Moved back to michigan and sold it for 5000 within a week of posting it.
#2 would be my problem as well LOL. I love the older Rangers, and F-Series pickups so trying to buy and resell them wouldn't work out very well for my pocket book, can't afford to buy a vehicle anyhow so certainly wouldn't be beneficial to me HAHA!!!

Rust will certainly kill them quick, that's why when you bring southern vehicles up north they sell for a lot, its not that people don't want them its the fact that the ones in the north are typically destroyed by salt. Until recent years here in Idaho they used sand on the roads in the winter, now they use a combination of sand/salt and that liquid de-icer crap which is worse than the ice itself LOL.

Sadly rust will be what kills my Bronco 2 now :(.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
#2 would be my problem as well LOL. I love the older Rangers, and F-Series pickups so trying to buy and resell them wouldn't work out very well for my pocket book, can't afford to buy a vehicle anyhow so certainly wouldn't be beneficial to me HAHA!!!

Rust will certainly kill them quick, that's why when you bring southern vehicles up north they sell for a lot, its not that people don't want them its the fact that the ones in the north are typically destroyed by salt. Until recent years here in Idaho they used sand on the roads in the winter, now they use a combination of sand/salt and that liquid de-icer crap which is worse than the ice itself LOL.

Sadly rust will be what kills my Bronco 2 now :(.
Just remember rust is natures weld.

Always worked for me.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
My brother in law just got a STEAL of a deal on an all original square body Chevy 2wd. It has 19,000 original miles, and he paid $14,000 out the door. Original build sheet and window sticker were included, along with all records of the sale. Came from the original purchaser. The interior has likely had some work done though. Yet to be determined by the experts..

chevy1.jpg

(he buys and sells around 10-20 vehicles a month)

He also picked up a beautiful all original 1926 Oldsmobile to clean up and flip.

Identical to this one but red:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That square body has me drooling....

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That square body has me drooling....
My brother had a 1981. His was maroon across the bottom, and on the roof, and cream coloured. His interior was the same dark red as the pictured truck, except that the metal was cream coloured instead of red. I should look, I've probably got a picture of his here, somewhere. I saw (I think?) his old truck in 2014. Identical to his, anyway. I have a picture of that one, too, somewhere here.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
I have a more compact version of regional variations , that I figured out 20 plus yrs ago .

There is a long rural-ish valley 100-250 mi from the Major Metropolitan Area . For trucks, 4x4, farm equipment , horses,hay, etc is way cheaper, and better selections . As much as half of "city' prices . For almost 30yrs , has been my default strategy .

Ironically , the '94 Ranger mentioned here , came from close to home , word of mouth from our mutual mechanic . But it was an actual Farm Truck, FWIW .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals