• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

off road trip living in my truck

rangertrip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just bought a 96 2.3 5spd 2wd single cab short bed one owner with 75,000 miles.

I am going to start the build within the next couple weeks, starting to order parts right now lol. I am building it for a road trip / off road expedition across the USA for about 6 months or longer. I will be living in the truck for most of the trip.

To start the build i am building a platform out of wood in the bed over the wheel wells it will be similar to what you have seen before with a pull out center and separate compartments in front and behind the wheel wells the one in front will span across the truck. It already has an aluminum topper on it but i am debating on going with a fiberglass one just have to weigh the pros and cons (input accepted) i know the aluminum one is lighter which is very important to me.
I am going to build a custom set of aluminum tool boxes 4 inches deep 18 inches high and 6 feet long. it is hard to describe but these will be mounted on a hinge along the inside of the bedrail. when parked i will be able to unhook the topper and pick up one side of it hinge the toolbox up and set the top back down on top of it, then do the same on the other side. everything will get clamped down. i will make filler panels for the front and rear. i don't plan on driving the truck in this configuration too much but i think it would be ok up to 45 or so and it will give me plenty of head room when camping in the back.

I am planning on leaving the engine alone maybe a cold air intake other than that just all new belts hoses and a full tune up. i will be pulling the tranny and having a shop swap a 4x4 tail shaft and housing in it. i am planning on running a 1354 tcase.

swapping in an early bronco dana 44 and 9 inch already have them but have to re-gear them 5.13 or 5.38 all new balljoints sealed and bearings using duff coil buckets, radius arms, and high steer kit with early bronco coils. probably running skyjacker leaf springs in the rear for simplicity and reliability. front and rear are already disk brakes but i have no parking brake on the rear and since i will be spending a lot of time in the mountains i think i might have to upgrade.

planning on running 35x12.50r15 general tire grabbers on 10" wide steel wheels.

things i need advice on: exhaust i want it as quiet as possible but flow better than stock, what kind of cat and mufflers are you 2.3 guys running?

I am from florida so i know nothing about rock climbing and don't plan on going down any crazy trails but would like to check out moab and some other places along the way. will the 2.48 to one t-case be low enough?

there is a ton of other stuff i will need advice on but its getting late and my brain is getting foggy i will be posting pictures of the build and trip along the way, who knows maybe i will be able to do some wheeling with some of y'all.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
reads like a fun trip.

All fuel injected Rangers came with cold air intakes(CAI), no need to change it.

Exhaust system is already set up for mid-RPM range power scavenging, so unless there is a problem with Cat or Muffler blockage, it is already setup for best performance.
You can switch exhaust manifolds to get scavenged power at a lower RPM, losing mid-range power .

2.3l is a high RPM engine, it doesn't start getting into best torque band until it is above 2,500 RPM, so keep it in the lower gears and RPMs up.

9" should have E-brake, shoe type

jcsonderegger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This is such a killer idea, I hope it goes well. I was literally talking about doing this exact same thing (with a very similar truck) just a few days ago. You need to document your adventure for all of us for sure.

I have a 3" Thrush muffler, with the stock cat on my 2.3, it's the "Welded" model, and I definitely felt an increase in the get-up after I installed it, but it's a little louder than the stock muffler. I do know they have a few quieter models, but no idea as to whether or not you will have a performance increase. Like Ron said, you may want to leave it alone if the sound is priority.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has to have a woodstove in it.

Aldo94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Liter V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"If you ain't first, you're last!" -Ricky Bobby
Any updates on this build? Sounds like an awesome plan. Very curious how its going, planning a build on my 87 in the summer. Brainstorming and collecting tips and ideas:icon_idea:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals