• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official 4R44E Problem Thread!

carlos_diazca

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Technically, I never did, I just drove it that way, start in 2nd then shift to D above 30mph. I ended up parting it out, made a trailer out of the back half, the engine/transmission went to south carolina, the front frame & attached suspension went to toledo. I suspect it was a band but Im not for sure.
I want to thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me
I see you are the only one I have found on the internet who has had this problem, and in the troublesheet I have found that it is a first rate ratch that skidded and that is why it does not connect 1st speed
Before saying goodbye I want to ask you, how long did you use your car this way?
As I see it, either I take apart the transmission to rebuild it or I buy another one and change it, I'm in Guatemala here it's difficult to find a new one, I would have to buy a used one.
Thank you for everything, you are very well and I wish you success in your daily task

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had it that way for a few months, It wasnt my only ranger at the time. Bought it for $500, had the bed off & made a flatbed for it. It was up for sale at one point. One day I had it out in a field and was going to do some donuts, had the steering wheel turned hard left as I had the gas floored. Somehow it ended up rolling on me which destroyed the cab. I cut the roof off and removed the doors, drove it very little after that before making a truck bed trailer and eventually gave away the engine, transmission & front frame/suspention. used many other parts including the bed for my current ranger. Heres the flickr link to its photo alblum.—>

mawi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, just joined the forum. Just bought a '96 Ford Ranger XLT with the 3.0 and 4R44E at auction. It's got a couple of issues with the serpentine belt, but the biggest is that I seem to have no first gear. I feel like I'm going to have to have the transmission rebuilt, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before conceding it to the transmission shop. When I shift it into '1', you can feel it shift but when you hit the gas it's like it's in neutral. When you shift into 2nd, it slips quite a bit, but it will take off slowly. When I put it in drive it will move but it feels like it's starting off in 3rd gear. Reverse works perfectly. I checked the tranny fluid which is pretty dark and needs a change with a filter (at least), but before I do that I wanted to check in and see if anyone had more experience and could help point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals