• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure Loss

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got a '92 4x4 with the 2.9, 5sp. I'm running 31 x 10.50's on it. This evening on my way home from Trick or Treating (for my kids), I heard a very fast tapping sound from the drivers side of the engine compartment and noticed that when I stepped on the clutch and slowed down, the oil pressure gage dropped to 0 (zero). When I let the clutch out, the pressure went back up to normal. I haven't checked anything out yet, but would like to get some ideas as to where to start looking.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Murf:icon_confused:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a '92 4x4 with the 2.9, 5sp. I'm running 31 x 10.50's on it. This evening on my way home from Trick or Treating (for my kids), I heard a very fast tapping sound from the drivers side of the engine compartment and noticed that when I stepped on the clutch and slowed down, the oil pressure gage dropped to 0 (zero). When I let the clutch out, the pressure went back up to normal. I haven't checked anything out yet, but would like to get some ideas as to where to start looking.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Murf:icon_confused:
checking to see if I understand...you loose oil pressure with clutch depressed?? wild?

presume you have factory guage/sending unit.
check to see if you have wires makin contact/rubbing your clutch pedal, inside the cab too...maybe one is and it is from your oil sensor.

can you get any end play on the crankshaft? movment forward or backward of crankshaft

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Check for coolant in your oil.

Pete

murf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went out and started looking at the truck today. I checked the things you guys suggested, and didn't find anything suspisious, so I started it. Lo and behold, no problems!!!! Took it for a test drive to see what happens when it warms up, nothing!

So, I guess that I will just drive it until something breaks or until i get the funds and time to swap in a V8 or Diesel.

Thanks again,
Murf

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Put in a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Idle speed oil pressure is always lower than cruising pressure (about half or more if you're shifting it right). Pressure "gauges" of this vintage are flaming BS. They are switches. They are either on or off. You don't really know what's happening with them.

Normal behavior is for cold oil pressure to be much higher than warm at all speeds, and for the pressure to be proportional to RPM, to a point. I'll bet your gauge stays put, for the most part. This is the BS. If it doesn't stay put, your voltage regulation should be looked into. Mechanical gauges don't have that variable.

2.9Ls like to tap. Fixing it is usually an expensive proposition. Resist the temptation to put heavy oil in, or any "mechanic in a bottle" (most of which are just equivalent to heavy oil). It won't work for long, and it's going to have trouble forming a film like it's supposed to.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Double check ground wires....
I did finially get my mechnical guages installed...much better feed back, as to what is going on under the hood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals