• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pump recommendations

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys! I'm about to change the oil pan gasket in my truck, and I figured, might as well replace the 30 year old (and probably caked up with crap) oil pump.
I caught a few quick mentions of guys using higher volume/pressure pumps in a 2.9, but I haven't been able to find them again to double check.
What are your recommendations? Is it that beneficial to use a high volume/pressure pump, or will a new stock pump be more than sufficient?
Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stock pump is fine. Hi-volume/hi-pressure pumps just eat up horsepower in a stock engine.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Stock pump lasted 30 yrs, why would you not go back with a stock? Where will we all be in 30 more years lol.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
If you do wind up going with the high output one, let me know. I thought about getting one when it's time to replace mine.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
as long as your bearings are good the stock replacement pump should be enough pressure. ive always wondered though about the possibility of pumping all the oil up top and the pump drawing air before enough oil could drain back into the pan. Im not sure that’s possible, but it’s something I had thought about. I believe racing engines that run a high volume pump have a bigger pan for more oil capacity. A new stock pump is certainly going to be better over one with alot of hours on it.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I went with the standard volume (an aftermarket Melling). Once I find a way to jack it up and pull the pan, ill see how it does (I got the 4x4, so it'll be a pain!).

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please let us know how it goes. I've done an '88 2WD 4 cylinder by lifting the engine enough to put a 4x4 on each side where the motor mounts are, and there was barely enough room to change the pump. But I've been told that it can't be done with a 2.9 4WD without pulling the engine.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have a little different view I suppose...

I would have went with a higher volume pump... Melling most likely. I mean it would depend on what my oil pressure was before... but with 30 years and xxx mileage... there is wear. If the engine started up cold at the pressure relief value and maintained 18-20 psi on a hot idle... I would just do a stock pump. South of that and I'm doing a high volume pump... despite the 20% greater horse power loss over a stock pump.

I just think having 20% more potential in volume on my oil pump can't be a bad thing on a well used 30 year old engine. With the upper end lubrication issues the 2.9 has... just seems like a no brainer... for me at least.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I have a little different view I suppose...

I would have went with a higher volume pump... Melling most likely. I mean it would depend on what my oil pressure was before... but with 30 years and xxx mileage... there is wear. If the engine started up cold at the pressure relief value and maintained 18-20 psi on a hot idle... I would just do a stock pump. South of that and I'm doing a high volume pump... despite the 20% greater horse power loss over a stock pump.

I just think having 20% more potential in volume on my oil pump can't be a bad thing on a well used 30 year old engine. With the upper end lubrication issues the 2.9 has... just seems like a no brainer... for me at least.
My thoughts exactly. 2.9s are known for oil pressure issues, so feed it ALL THE OIL.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Any new consenus here, stock or high-volume oil pump?

Background. The other day I suddenly lost pressure on my (stock) '90 B2 2WD. Truck has a stock working dash "gauge" and an added mechanical pressure gauge. With some revs the mech gauge would show a few pounds. Motor ticked a little, did not overheat (not even close). It happened about a mile from house, so I limped it on home.

After a change of the oil (10W30, was 5W30) and filter (Motorcraft FL1A), now at idle the mech gauge shows 5~10 lbs, dash gauge needle is up (@ 1/3). BUT, when I rev the motor, dash needle drops out (no pressure) and mech gauge lowers to just a couple of pounds.

Prior to this the engine has not had any issues. Good runner, no smoke, very little oil consumption and actually quiet (wasn't a typical 2.9 "ticker"). Pressure at idle prior to this episode was about 60 psi at startup, then down to 10 to 15 at idle after reaching running temps.

Next step, I'll have to pull the pan and see what I got. And I might as well plan ahead on a new pump. I'll do either the Melling M-128 or M-328, a new pickup and a new pump shaft.

Sooooooo . . . stock or high volume?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'll stick with what I said in this post originally... High volume.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'll stick with what I said in this post originally... High volume.
Yeah, what Uncle said. While I went with the melling stock replacement, it never really fixed the ticking, so I do wish I put the high pressure pump in, just to see.
I also did the roller rocker mod, and it didn't fix it either. I've heard rumors that it is a bottom end issue that results in the ticking, and while I'm not experienced enough to know for sure, I've got a feeling something on the bottom is behind the ticking. Maybe the high pressure pump will make up for whatever gunks up the oil feed? Let us know how it goes!

At this point, my current engine is what it is... A ticking typewriter that gets me where I'm going! I got an extra 2.9 in storage that is slated to get a complete rebuild along the lines of Sven Pruitt's book, plus a lot of petroleum junkie mods, and hopefully a set of morana racing's improved rockers. It's almost guaranteed, it won't tick! I hope! Haha!
Just so the covid restrictions don't keep increasing... I need to be able to work to buy that junk!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I thought the discussion was about High volume, not high pressure pumps. A high volume pump might crutch a worn out engine, I'd rather rebuild it and use a stock pump because if I try to band aid a problem it always bites me. Increased volume means more drag on the engine, more stress on the pump drive, and more wear on the distributor and cam gear,potentially.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for the replies so far; very much appreciated.

It is the high volume pump that I'm considering. The engine seems to be in good shape, just had a sudden loss of oil pressure. After the oil and filter change the motor did run quieter, but the pressure is still too low.

In going with the (more expensive) high volume pump I was hoping that I'd see just a little more pressure at warm idle (it was running 10~15 prior).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals