• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil???

jcmtbfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Right now I'm running Mystik JT-8 in my B2. I've considered going to a full synthetic upon my cousins recommendation. I've also considered using Mobil 1 since it's more readily available than Mystik (mainly available in the midwest, I heard you can't get it on the coasts). Any thoughts on this?? My cousin told me that once you go full synthetic, it's hard on the engine to go back to non-synthetic. Is this true?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
switching from synthetic to "non-synthetic" wont hurt anything. You should know that, if you were to remove all the synthetic additives from 1ltr "non-synthetic" oil, the remainder of the base stock would be less then 20 %. Synthetics main advantage is @ engine start up in VEARY cold climates. It can also withstand sevear heat longer without breaking down. Synthetic also tends to leak from older seals in older engines because it "flows" better..

jcmtbfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Run synthetic dude. Its better then standard oil in every way. Heres an awesome deal. Ive purchased a case myself from them and had a great experience. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Royal-Purple-Synthetic-Oil-12-Quarts-10w40-Motor-Oil_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ014QQitemZ330169799068QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
A guy on the B2 boards said the same thing as Ranger 5.0. Haha, I don't want more oil leakage. While I don't have much right now, I don't want it getting worse. I think I might try some Mobile 1. Thanks for the help guys!

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I useta run mobil one religiously, now im runing regular oil. I studied fuels and lubricants in college for 5 weeks, trust me, the only thing synthetic is good is for starting in the cold, and putting up with more heat. When your engine oil turns black, its not the base stock oil going "bad" its the synthetic additive packages breaking down due to combustion gasses and what not. when they recycle oil, they seperate the old additives and add new additives to the base stock, cus base stock oil does NOT go bad. Full synthetic oils juss soak up more krap, and if you look past the marketing and REALY dig deep, you will understand why synthetics are porpose specific lubs. If your not runing in extreamly hot or cold enviroments then you juss wasting your money on high priced oil. Take a sec and think about it, i used to run mobil one for 6 years till i did al lthat research last semester

michowski

Reaction score
you need to fix your leak first before you start putting expensive oil in your truck. Id worry about the leak rather then what oil you use for now

jcmtbfreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have a leak as in it runs out. It's more like I have oil seeping, as with any old engine. I put 5.5 quarts in, and when we dump it, it dumps 5.5 quarts. I'm not losing anything significant. Trying to eliminate what little "seeping" I have going on right now wouldn't be worth my time or money. Cause I seriously don't lose anything. I didn't think Mobil was a synthetic. Is it?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I notice a little more exhaust smoke (bad valve stem seals) since switching to Mobil 1, it uses about a quart every 3-4 weeks, I buy the big 5 quart jug for like $20 at wal mart and just add it in. Its basicaly like a continuous oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 last November and havent actualy changed it but I do change the filter every 10,000 miles. It also runs a bit smoother with synthetic.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
fwiw,i've run regular old valvoline oil for almost 30 years,i got no complaints.no oil related engine problems or failures.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Agree with ranger5.0...it does help in those "extreme" conditions...for those of you who wheel hard on trails and such...I would call that extreme hard/sevear angles, idleing then ramping up the R's to get over that rock or pure high rpms bogg'n runs. oil is going to try seek level and if it is away from the pick-up tube for the oil pump...means that oil isn't getting moved wear it is suppose to...with the synthitic oil it helps keep lubercation in that extreme situation.

the average Daily Driver who don't push their rig hard but uses it to as work transportation or the occational grociery run or what ever ....regular oil works just fine. if you feel that your benifiting with synthic...by all means use it

just my 2ct's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals