• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on which leaf springs to purchase.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As I was throwing some rattle can paint at my frame I noticed both of my second leafs were broke. I believe I have desided to just replace all the leafs and not rebuild them, to try to prevent having to tear them down again to replace the others when do go. My question is "Which brands have shown durability that RockAuto carries?" To be truthful Looking at all the selections and differences I got confused and would like some help. :dunno:

94 ranger 3.0 2WD not lifted, stock spring code F4B (3 leaf - 2 3/8"), Axle Code 84 - Open diff- Capacity 2750 LB- 3.45 Gears.

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Check out General Springs. The leafs on my Ranger are still good, and i have air bags to help them out, so I haven't gotten around to trying the Generals on my Ranger, but I used them to replace the back-bowed worn-out springs on my old Tacoma and the Generals were great. Made in USA, OEM-quality, good customer service. I had the "HD" ones on my lifted Taco and will probably get those when it's time to replace the Ranger's. If you're looking for stock load capacity/ride height, this is probably what you want:

You're in luck, because the pre-04 springs are hella cheap for some reason.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you run empty bed mostly then run softer leafs with an overload leaf

You get a smoother ride, and better traction, but can still handle the weight or pull a trailer when needed

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Yes, RonD, I do run mostly empty, except about 150 lbs of tools and fishing gear, so I went with a set of Husky springs and bolts (1100 lbs) from RockAuto. I did check out the General spring link given but price was a main factor on this job so I decided to go the RockAuto route and save about $20. As for installation, it went surprisingly smooth considering the truck was built in August of '93 and no suspension work was ever done to it. ( Confirmed this with the original owner who bought it from the dealership just before ordering the springs. ) With a 18" breaker bar I, with a bad back and hip, was able to easily turn the bolts in the spring and shackle bushings, my friend was able to turn them with just my 1/2" ratchet. Got to love the older ones when taken care of and kept out of the salt areas. Time wise it took "me" about 3 1/2 hours to do the job on the ground using a jack and jack stands. Pics of the finished job, I was to excited to do the springs that I didn't think of taking pics before and during the job. As you can see the underneath is super clean for the year. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgMS23T_FVRiq2GpAV0wsDvHkCMs

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the update

Hows the ride?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Bouncy. :icon_bounceblue: lol While doing the springs I found one shock was dead so I just ordered shocks. It's not stiff, that's for sure, so no hard kidney shots like you get with many springs that come in lifts, though these are meant as stock replacements so I wouldn't expect them to be stiff like lifts. As for height I gained around an 1-1/2" due to the suspension not sagging in the back now. The front is really sagging so that will be where the majority of my lift, back to stock height, will come from.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Well... They are trucks... But you could stick a upgrade under there....https://www.progressiveautomotive.com/installations-kits-parts/rear-suspensions/sweet-ryde-c4-corvette-irs-kits.html
But what would you after lunch ?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Update on the ride quality: Now that new shocks have been installed these Husky springs ride quite good actually. Since this is a truck and light in the rear there is slight jarring over sharp bumps but, to be honest, my 95 Honda civic road a lot worse because of the stiff suspension. I actually feel less of the bumps now that there is some resemblance of dampening to the rear axle so the ride quality has improved dramatically over what it was.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals