• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overriding speed limiter

rangerus

Reaction score
Hi, I am driving a US -Ranger Model 2003, 4.o litre, 4x4 with manual transmission here in Germany.
Limiter kicks in at 90 mph wich is pretty annoying since we have no speed limit on the highway.
Can anybody help me with overriding or removing the rev governer ?

Looking forward to hearing from you !

Rangerus

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a chip or tuner can allow you to increase or remove the speed limiter. something like http://www.bamachips.com/ (i cant get their site to come up at the moment). a handy side effect is that you'll probably be able to get a few more ponies out of the motor as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard a click or two of your parking brake will disable the speed limiter. I have never tried it but may be worth a shot.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, 140 km/h (90 MPH) is a bit more than the suspension and steering can really handle. While it's true that parts of the Autobahn have no compulsory speed limits, there is a nationwide advisory limit of 130 km/h. And a compulsory limit for trucks and busses of 100 km/h (so you aren't even close to the slowest guy on the highway). If you drive faster than that and crash the vehicle, your insurance becomes an issue. Especially when you defeat safety devices (that's what that limiter is).

If you want to drive fast on the Autobahn, you really should drive a vehicle with a chassis designed for that. I.e., a small car with a low center of gravity.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, 140 km/h (90 MPH) is a bit more than the suspension and steering can really handle. While it's true that parts of the Autobahn have no compulsory speed limits, there is a nationwide advisory limit of 130 km/h. And a compulsory limit for trucks and busses of 100 km/h (so you aren't even close to the slowest guy on the highway). If you drive faster than that and crash the vehicle, your insurance becomes an issue. Especially when you defeat safety devices (that's what that limiter is).

If you want to drive fast on the Autobahn, you really should drive a vehicle with a chassis designed for that. I.e., a small car with a low center of gravity.
Not tryng to say your wrong or anything cause there are many things that change how a truck acts at high speeds, but my ranger does about 105 before the gov comes in and it feels fine at that, it has seen it many times. I also have no sway bars on it, and it was stable as can be. On the high way imo it would be fine. Its not like your taking it to an open track day or something, lol.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i highly recommend AGAINST the "vss mod" on rogue performances site. on a newer ranger, disabling the vss will mess with tranny shift points, disable the speedo (and odometer, for correct servicing), and most importantly, it will disable ALL-FOUR anti-lock brakes, not just the rear. this means when you need them most (in a crash at 90+MPH), your antilock brakes will not engage.

i have no problem pushing my ranger to over 90 MPH. with proper tires, shocks, and tight front end parts, the truck sails along very smoothly at these speeds...but i would NEVER take a vehicle with a partially disabled brake system to those speeds. a chip or tuner will allow you to remove the speed limiter without disabling your ABS.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Yea never mind on the vss mod, i unplugged mine today and the truck ran like shit, wouldn't down shift and cruisin thru the neighbor hood it kept surging/ down shifting to where it got so bad I had i had to manually keep it in first.

I could put it on a toggle and turn it off right before the limiter kicks in but my truck gets floaty over 80 mph and I dont cruse 90mph + down I75 anyways so its not worth the work or tickets to me

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
mine handles horribly past 85, the truck simply wasnt ment to go that fast.
________
uhwh warehouse

Last edited:

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 94 rides like a luxury vehichle when the spedometer drops past 85 and buries it's self in the bottom of the gauge. I have a 3inch springs and beams though with a flipped blocked and notched rearend with monroe air shocks on it so it has a real low center of gravity...and only on side of the front sway bar is still hooked up since the bracket for the other side broke a few months ago and i'm to lazy to take that side of the front end apart to replace the bracket....i think it tops about 105 but that's just a guess since it only reads to 85....the hard part is getting it there here in the mountains of TN.

ZSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Although I doubt it, someone told me that dropping down into drive (4th gear in your case) will disable the speed limiter. Otherwise you need a tuner like the Bama mentioned or Hypertech.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals