• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P1401 DPFE Sensor Circuit High Input code ?

Jughead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
My check engine light came on a while ago with a p0401 code for my egr valve. After changing the valve, a P1401 (DPFE Sensor Circuit High Input code) came up. I read up on it a bit but still don't really understand what it means.

Does anybody know what is REALLY means? Has anyone had this code before?
any help would be appreciated.

2002, 4.0 liter V6, manual transmission.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It means the DPFE sensor is full of exhaust coke and needs replaced.

Jughead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
is there another name for the DPFE sensor?
I've gone to 2 different parts stores and called the dealership and the guy on the phone had no idea what I was talking about.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The parts store guys I can understand. Call the dealership back up, ask for the parts guy you talked to before, tell him he is an idiot.

Then call the closest Ford dealer and ask try there.

The long-hand form of the name is the Differential (or Delta) Pressure Feedback Exhaust Recirculation Gas Sensor.

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
P1401 My Fix

I wanted to add my experience, since this code has been hounding me for quite some time. I tried all of the usual fixes first of course.. Replaced the DPFE with one from a junkyard. That didn't work, code came back as soon as I cleared it. Broke down (figuratively, this never actually rendered my truck inoperable. Even when I had the DPFE sensor completely unplugged) and bought a new DPFE sensor, and those things aren't cheap for a 2000 2.5L. I think it set me back over $70. That still didn't fix it. After doing quite a bit more research, I found that the EGR system could get clogged with carbon build-up which has been known to trigger this code. Just to be completely safe, I replaced the EGR valve itself, the EGR tube, and cleaned the ports they connect to really well with carb cleaner. Reset the code, and bam right back on.

I had already visually inspected all of the wires, but since the code itself makes me thing electrical I decided to go a bit further. I very gently tugged on the wires coming out of the harness that plugs into the DPFE sensor. One came out with absolutely no effort, and another came out fairly easily. I suppose this could explain why replacing the DPFE sensor "fixes" the problem temporarily for some people. Handling the harness when unplugging and plugging it in might give the wire just enough contact for a little while.

The parts store wanted over $30 for a new harness, so I went around at a junk yard until I found one in which I could tug all three wires fairly aggressively and they were in there really well. Unplugged the harness, cut off enough wire to splice it to my old wires, and the problem has been fixed ever since for $2. Well, at least I have a whole new EGR system now! I guess that can't be bad for mileage.

Llshelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
P1401 My Fix

I wanted to add my experience, since this code has been hounding me for quite some time. I tried all of the usual fixes first of course.. Replaced the DPFE with one from a junkyard. That didn't work, code came back as soon as I cleared it. Broke down (figuratively, this never actually rendered my truck inoperable. Even when I had the DPFE sensor completely unplugged) and bought a new DPFE sensor, and those things aren't cheap for a 2000 2.5L. I think it set me back over $70. That still didn't fix it. After doing quite a bit more research, I found that the EGR system could get clogged with carbon build-up which has been known to trigger this code. Just to be completely safe, I replaced the EGR valve itself, the EGR tube, and cleaned the ports they connect to really well with carb cleaner. Reset the code, and bam right back on.

I had already visually inspected all of the wires, but since the code itself makes me thing electrical I decided to go a bit further. I very gently tugged on the wires coming out of the harness that plugs into the DPFE sensor. One came out with absolutely no effort, and another came out fairly easily. I suppose this could explain why replacing the DPFE sensor "fixes" the problem temporarily for some people. Handling the harness when unplugging and plugging it in might give the wire just enough contact for a little while.

The parts store wanted over $30 for a new harness, so I went around at a junk yard until I found one in which I could tug all three wires fairly aggressively and they were in there really well. Unplugged the harness, cut off enough wire to splice it to my old wires, and the problem has been fixed ever since for $2. Well, at least I have a whole new EGR system now! I guess that can't be bad for mileage.

Sending a HUGE THANK YOU for posting this. No one could figure out why this code kept popping up even after replacing everything. Literally everything. After reading your post I ordered a new pigtail from the auto parts store and after replacing that connector the problem resolved. The light did not instantly turn off, it had to get about 50 miles on it for that to happen... found out the first time the light cleared before replacing that connector that even though the check engine light came off there were systems failing to initiate because of the short that kept arcing and blowing up the new dpfe every time we fixed it and it would just clear for one drive and then throw the code again. After replacing the connector by the next morning the code cleared, the systems all initiate now and it passed smog. Drives like its new and I didn’t have to push it off a cliff and get a different car. This problem was driving me absolutely mad because even testing the wires didn’t show any indication of an issue because power was running through the wires. Anyway, I hope you get to see that you saved someone’s sanity by adding your experience on this thread I had done literally everything and then some ... but never replaced that connector and when we were replacing it and cut the wires off the old one, the middle wire just fell right out. Thanks again!

GiovanyS214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Im having a similar issue. I just bought the truck and this code keeps popping up. The egr valve looks new like someone has already replaced it. Seems like the previous owner was digging for it. I put in a gasket on the egr valve because it didnt have one and it quieted my truck some. But the code still shows up. Also. The truck drives okay i guess but when i slow down at a light or come to a stop the truck starts stalling like if it wants to choke. Cant really figure out what the problem is. Took it to autozone and the codes that pop up are p1401 and my o2 sensor upstream and downstream pop up too. Guy at autozone said its most likely due to my egr problem! Can anybody help!!!! Grrrr!!!!! Ive been chasing this thing lol

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Im having a similar issue. I just bought the truck and this code keeps popping up. The egr valve looks new like someone has already replaced it. Seems like the previous owner was digging for it. I put in a gasket on the egr valve because it didnt have one and it quieted my truck some. But the code still shows up. Also. The truck drives okay i guess but when i slow down at a light or come to a stop the truck starts stalling like if it wants to choke. Cant really figure out what the problem is. Took it to autozone and the codes that pop up are p1401 and my o2 sensor upstream and downstream pop up too. Guy at autozone said its most likely due to my egr problem! Can anybody help!!!! Grrrr!!!!! Ive been chasing this thing lol
Do all the suggestions in the previous posts. Make sure the system is clean, and the wiring is good.

How this system works; You should have a tube from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. The EGR valve opens and let exhaust into the intake of the engine, exhaust flows through this pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold.

Somewhere on this exhaust pipe leading to the EGR there will be a fitting with a hose leading to the DPFE sensor. The hose is usually a high temp silicone hose. What the sensor is doing is monitoring the pressure in the exhaust feed pipe. When the EGR is closed, there will be high pressure in the pipe from backpressure in the exhaust system. When the EGR is open, exhaust will be flowing through the pipe, and the pressure will drop. This is how the computer verifies the EGR system is working and is open or shut.

This is one of the reasons that only cat-back exhaust systems are legal to add to the exhaust. Any changes in the exhaust up front that might allow free flow and lower backpressure, messes up this DPFE system and will cause it to generate codes.

GiovanyS214

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Okay sounds good. Is there like a visual walkthrough somewhere where i can see this whole system broken down? I want to make sure im doing the right thing. And not breaking it even more. I know im capable of fixing it its just ive never had this kind of issue with any of my cars before so its all fairly new to me. Anything will help. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals