• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's BII

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a new full size spare over the weekend and got a cover for it.

Looks just like the one that was on it for years before it blew off going down the road years ago.

I also bought two NOS tail lights for it. I love Ebay!

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got my thermostat housing leak fixed today I believe. I put some peramtex on the seals and seemed to work.

I also got my trans dipstick tube secured and my trans vacuum line secured. Things that were over due from the trans drop.

My u joints should be here tomorrow and I'll try to do them during the week.

Now onto my newest issue. I've got a fuel leak at the carb and I believe the mechanical pump.

I just rebuilt the carb in June, but looks like it is leaking out the front of the carb around the accelerator pump.

I assume the pump's diaphragm is going out too. Looks like it is leaking from the weep hole on the pump.

The carb bowl is leaking down between me starting it. I can get the thing to start with out starting fluid. Between the bowl and the pump the fuel can't get there without some help.

Guess I'll replace it and reseal everything on the carb. I think the new gas with all the detergents (including the seafoam I put in the tank) probably wasn't good for a diaphragm that had been dry while sitting for years.

Last edited:

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm surprised you didn't rebuild the entire carb while you had it out!

I did the duraspark conversion on my '84 this summer and rebuilt the carb as well. That was a week of fun - following guides and searching through old posts. Anyways, I only recently got the choke set right.

I'm not trying to pressure you or anything.... but look how much room you save yanking all the crap out :icon_cheers:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
First, I've been following this thread, and would like to compliment you on saving this old B2. You're doing some great work, and I always look forward to new posts showing your progress.

Second, like ErinBronco2 I did the Duraspark conversion using info I found on TheRangerStation, and that's been 10 years ago now. Duraspark was the best thing I've ever done to my '84 Ranger.

Just passing on my experience, too. Keep up the good work; build it like you want it, take care of it, and most of all enjoy it!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm surprised you didn't rebuild the entire carb while you had it out!

I did the duraspark conversion on my '84 this summer and rebuilt the carb as well. That was a week of fun - following guides and searching through old posts. Anyways, I only recently got the choke set right.

View attachment 32694View attachment 32695

I'm not trying to pressure you or anything.... but look how much room you save yanking all the crap out :icon_cheers:
I did rebuild it the carb earlier this year. The rebuild kits quality are questionable at this point.

The accelerator pump diaphragm already went bad in that amount of time.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm bouncing around between a couple of threads on the BII.

I have recently replaced the mechanical fuel pump and rebuilt half of the drive line with new u joints. I fixed the fuel leak at the carb with a new accelerator pump diaphragm.

I would do the duraspark in a heartbeat as long as I could keep the A4LD functioning properly. It will be a few months before I get to it though.

I am going to pull the carb and try to get the current choke to work properly maybe this weekend. I will see how the engine performs after that. I have the rest of the u joints to do and new shocks that need mounting.

@RobbieD and @ErinBronco2 , did you both use the stock 2150A carb with the duraspark, or replace it?

I have decided that I'm going to put off painting it for a while. I am debating trying to paint it myself. As much work as I have put into it so far, it is kind of a pride thing that I have been able to accomplish as much as I have so far.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First, I've been following this thread, and would like to compliment you on saving this old B2. You're doing some great work, and I always look forward to new posts showing your progress.

Second, like ErinBronco2 I did the Duraspark conversion using info I found on TheRangerStation, and that's been 10 years ago now. Duraspark was the best thing I've ever done to my '84 Ranger.

Just passing on my experience, too. Keep up the good work; build it like you want it, take care of it, and most of all enjoy it!
Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy doing the work. It makes me smile and think of my Papaw.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm bouncing around between a couple of threads on the BII.

I have recently replaced the mechanical fuel pump and rebuilt half of the drive line with new u joints. I fixed the fuel leak at the carb with a new accelerator pump diaphragm.

I would do the duraspark in a heartbeat as long as I could keep the A4LD functioning properly. It will be a few months before I get to it though.

I am going to pull the carb and try to get the current choke to work properly maybe this weekend. I will see how the engine performs after that. I have the rest of the u joints to do and new shocks that need mounting.

@RobbieD and @ErinBronco2 , did you both use the stock 2150A carb with the duraspark, or replace it?

I have decided that I'm going to put off painting it for a while. I am debating trying to paint it myself. As much work as I have put into it so far, it is kind of a pride thing that I have been able to accomplish as much as I have so far.
I replaced the stock carb with a 2150 out of a 1980 ish F-150. Also, I have a C5 transmission so I didn't really have to change anything.

And I'm with you on the paint thing. I'm thinking I want to paint mine myself as well. I've seen quite a few people on these forums do it and it ended up really nice. Of course patience and prep work is key...

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used the original 2150A that came on the truck, replacing the solenoid with a manual adjustment block; see the pic. The instructions for this used to here on TRS, somewhere.

I'll be repainting my Bronco II, just don't know when I'll be able to get to it. It's worth trying to do it yourself. Here's where I put a cheap paint job on my '84 Ranger:
https://therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-old-girl-gets-a-cheap-facelift.54998/

Here's the carb mod:
Awesome job on the painting by the way.

I'm thinking of using some of the more DIY friendly products. Duplicolor has some paint you don'y even have to reduce to spray these days.

As for the carb, is the metering or manual block, does it just control the amount of air going into the back of the carb? How do you make adjustments?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thank you, but I think anybody can do a decent paint job if time and care is taken.

Yes, the manual metering block just controls the air in place of the solenoid. There's a passage carved into the carb side of the block, with an adjustment screw sticking out it which unfortunately you can't see in the picture.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Bingo! You found where I got the idea from. It worked good on mine.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stepped away from the BII for a while. Got busy this fall. Now I'm back on it. I'm done fooling with the weird driveshaft that came on my rig. I ordered a new one on rock auto this week. I'm going to put it in, pick insurance back up on it and start driving it to work.

I think I finally figured out my choke and can now get it to start as soon as it turns over. Choke plate opens up when warm too. I also think I got the carb tunned in now. No black soot or smoke while running now. I might throw a set of motorcraft plugs in as I know the others are probably fouled from running rich.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just did the duraspark conversion on my 84. It runs so much better. It ran ok before, but after it would warm up the computer would suddenly jump the timing way up at idle and it would sit there and miss fire. I pulled the codes, and I had at least 5 or 6. I got tired of messing with it and bought a duraspark II distributor for a 78 mustang with a 2.8. I didn't use the duraspark II module, I used a GM HEI module mounted on a heatsink on the pass side fender. By doing this I was able to keep using my original square coil.

I am also using my original carb for now. Nothing is hooked up on it,the temp compensated accelerator pump vacuum thing and the fuel solenoid are still there but not wired to anything. It runs great, but I am getting 17mpg. I am thinking I might be able to do a little better if I mess around with the solenoid and the accelerator pump. The chokes on these things are fully electric not electric assist. The factory used a relay thing controlled by the computer to run it, but it went bad long ago before I got it, and someone wired it into the 7v line from the alternator. With some adjusting it works good. The only thing, I only have one step on the fast idle cam. They only had the one highest step on the cam, and then below that the computer looked at the engine temp and controlled the idle with the dc motor. I do have a problem sometimes in certain weather, it will drop off that highest fast idle, and then you are at regular idle and the engine is not fully warmed up. So it will sit at a stop light and stall unless you feather the throttle.

I was really looking at the 2150's they have on Amazon. They are china knock-offs and you can't beat the price. I have used china knock-off lawnmower carbs with great success. But all those 2150 carbs are for v8's. I am afraid they would be too large for the 2.8. The 2.8 uses the smallest venturi size they used for the 2150's, the ones on Amazon use the next up venturi size. I am not sure how that would work and if I would have to change the jetting. As I mentioned before, I drive this thing everyday and like my fuel mileage to be as high as it can be. The 2.9 ranger I had would get 20 mpg in the summer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals