• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's BII

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I finally managed to get the transmission dropped yesterday. Fought me a little on the way down, but I got it!

I ordered the seals from rock auto yesterday. They should be here this week. I hope to have this transmission back in by the week of labor day when I'm off.

I'm working on it, hope to be daily driving this thing by the end of September.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was looking under the BII tonight for a couple of minutes and was looking at the frame.

I have some surface rust, but doesn't look like anything has rusted through. What would be the best way to manage this? Wire wheel and spray can? I know there are a bunch of rust products out there, but I'm wondering if a rustoleum paint job would suffice on this?
B2 Driver Floor Pan.JPG
B2 Frame 2.JPG
B2 Frame 1.JPG

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That frame is fine. I'd leave it alone. Paint just traps water underneath after you get the first few rock chips in it, etc.. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on POR15 chassis paint or a similar product. I've tried them all and 99% of them aren't worth your time and effort. The POR15 might be the only exception to that rule..

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That frame is fine. I'd leave it alone. Paint just traps water underneath after you get the first few rock chips in it, etc.. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on POR15 chassis paint or a similar product. I've tried them all and 99% of them aren't worth your time and effort. The POR15 might be the only exception to that rule..
I had never heard of paint trapping water. I'm all for leaving it alone. Less work for me!

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Think about it. You coat the entire frame in paint, then get a few chips or cracks in the paint, then drive through rain for several hours over a few days or whatever.. That water will find those cracks and chips in the paint and the small amount dry rust underneath will suck up water like a sponge. You can never get all of the rust off no matter how hard you try, and paint will fall off of those areas in short order.

However, I do still shoot some cheap low/medium gloss Rustoleum on my frame every couple years in the wheel wells where it's easily seen by everyone. It just makes the truck look better. Used car lots are notorious for doing this ti make their vehicles look better and fetch a little higher price from people that know no better.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lots if people swear by Fluid Film. Spray it on the frame and under side of the truck once a year. Its a natural lanolin based thick coating that creeps into all the little crevices and repels water. Google it.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I just used Eastwood rust encapsulator on my 89 frame. Awesome stuff. As mentioned POR 15 is great, but if you don't prep right it will be a nightmare. The eastwood is forgiving and binds well to rust.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've read some about the rust encapsulator from Eastwood. I might go that route.

I'll look into fluid film as well.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
You could do both, eastwood, then fluid film. I use Krown myself, but many of my friends go the fluid film route

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like that the eastwood has a aluminum like finish. I could use it on the underside of the body panels.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I made a fun discovery this week.....

It appears the BII has 160,000 miles not 60,000 miles.

I was lead to believe that from my Granddad, but now that I am finally getting the title, it states "exceeds mechanical limits" so the odometer has rolled over.

I actually pulled a Carfax on it yesterday just for curiosity and found out it was reported as having 133,000 miles on it in 1995.

The engine and all appears to be in great shape for that kind of mileage! I just hope the A4LD holds up! Might explain my leaking seal now!

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I love por-15, that being said it does require extensive prep, its expensive and takes forever to wear off your skin if you get any on you. But I figure anything thats takes 2+ weeks to wear off your fingers and hands is going to stick pretty good to a frame. I used it as my “prep coat” when I redid dads ‘46 ford 2N tractor 3 years ago. still looks great. Ive also used it on dads 05 superduty and my current ranger

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well it has tags and liability insurance.

I drove it legally for the first thing this weekend in 6 years!

It is still having issues, idles high, a trans cooler line leaking and something vibrating and making noise under the rig (I have a pretty good idea what this is), but it is driveable!

Now I am going to go through all the fluids and continue to clean it up.

Felt good to get out and drive it and it not puke out all it's transmission fluid on the ground. Transmission actually seems to shift pretty well. New fluid and filter helped I'm sure.

The work continues!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another update:

Got my coolant leak fixed for the most part, corrected my timing, and it appears the BII is running great!

I'm going to check a few more things then I'll venture further than the 10 miles or so I have driven it a trip so far.

I've talked to the guy who is going to paint it, he will be ready for it when the heat breaks (hopefully soon!!).

I hope to have it cleaned up pretty well come Thanksgiving.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like my coolant leak is fixed.

I changed the oil over the weekend and replaced the soft trans cooler lines going to the cooler up front.

As I continue to go through things, my next step is to replace the wheel bearings up front.

I've ordered Timken inner and outer hub bearings and races with new seals.

I'll try to get to it over the weekend. I will also replace the manual lock outs with a set I picked up off a member from here.

After that I'll look into the ball joints. I'm not sure how worn these are yet because I haven't checked them yet.

Just trying to check things off one at a time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals