• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picking The (American) Pickers

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I was in Davenport Iowa this week. On my way back I realized how close I was to Le Claire Iowa, and decided to stop in and check out 'Antique Archaeology' from American Pickers.

Le Claire is a very scenic town right off of Interstate 80 that runs along the edge of the Mississippi River. The shop is just off the main street behind the BP gas station.

When we stopped, the guys weren't there, but we looked around and bought a couple shirts and fridge magnet.

The BP station has a A&W, so we stopped there afterwards for a snack and root beer float.

It's a pretty nice place to stop and stretch if you're going through the area. The store is pretty neat looking inside.

I didn't get a photo of the section where there were books, shirts and souvenirs for sale, so the photo with the shirts is borrowed from their facebook page.

Attachments

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
nice.. I like their show. Don't watch it much, don't watch much tv.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i seen those guys last summer in sc...didnt get to talk with them directly but talked with the crew a bit.

it only took a few weeks for the episode they were shooting to air, i was surprised by that. but they seem to be really good people and very charitable as well.

i can tell you this much, if kim ever gets close she will be there.

i know we will be in the tennesee store this summer.:D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm glad I don't know what you guys are talking about. It means my television ban is working. I'm the Kin Il Sung of my family.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I'm glad I don't know what you guys are talking about. It means my television ban is working. I'm the Kin Il Sung of my family.
I'm sorry, but he's not white, bald and wearing a feather in a head band.:D

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love the show. That's so cool you got to see the store, was Danielle working? They did an episode in my town I actually was riding my bike and saw them filming Mike doing one of his little side bar talks, didn't see frank though.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
No she wasn't there.

See the upper section in photo #2? Her office is up there, but there was a different girl working in there.

I learned something interesting though:

Frank Fritz is not part of Antique Archaeology. He actually has his own store and a website:

http://www.frankfritzfinds.com/

Him and Mike pick for (2) weeks, and are off for (2) weeks. They sell their stuff from there own individual businesses.

Also, Mike Wolfe started video taping his picks to share his experiences on his website. He made his own pilot and pitched it to someone who pitched it to the company producing the show. It wasn't so much a case where he was 'discovered'.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
The stuff they find on that show is pretty cool. I'd like to go out and do that sorta stuff some day just for fun.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like watching them, but My problem with that show is this.....
"What do you gotta have for this?"
"$200"
"I can't do $200, how about $75?"
"$150?"
"Nope....I will go to $80" (first problem....guy drops $50, Mike goes up $5....)
"$100?"
"$90, final offer..it's dirty and rusty and dented....."
"ok....I guess....$90"
Mike on sidebar...." I scored this for way cheap....I can re-sell in this condition for $600!"

My point is....if you can sell it for $600, give him the $200 he wanted.....you are still making a profit. Especially on the picks where they drop in un-announced.....these people weren't ready for you, stop screwing them......

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
"$200"
"$150?"
"Nope....I will go to $80" (first problem....guy drops $50, Mike goes up $5....)
"$100?"
"ok....I guess....$90"
Mike on sidebar...." I scored this for way cheap....I can re-sell in this condition for $600!"

My point is....if you can sell it for $600, give him the $200 he wanted.....you are still making a profit. Especially on the picks where they drop in un-announced.....these people weren't ready for you, stop screwing them......
That is what ticks me off too...and it's happened to me trying to sell something on a few sites...one guy offered to trade me for an air compressor that was worth $1,200 new...I wanted $200 for it because it was disassembled...anyway, the guy sends me a list of things he wants to trade...

A hockey bag...worth about $40
a broken outboard boat motor...worth $5 in scrap
a truck tool box...with a broken lid...worth about $5 scrap metal
and a list of other things that I sort wished I'd kept but I deleted the e-mail after I told him "thanks but no thanks"...

There are people that go over these ads and low-ball everything...knowing that they could sell what they get if they get it for profit...but I do know it costs money to store this stuff...and trying to keep up with the inventory can be a full time job...but I also know people that do this sort of thing for a living and they do pretty good...but it is a lot of work...and they are doing some good by taking tons of used stuff from people that either don't want it or need the money big time...

Oh, and I've actually watched that show...but not something that I would set aside an hour or two regularly...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I agree, not just that show, but craigslist is really good for this. Oftentimes I see people listing crap on there that should have just been trashed, but trying to sell it for hundreds of dollars. Call them on it and they're like oh yeah it works, blah...blah...blah. Go look at it, not even close to working condition, pictures are of a new item from a website, not the item they are selling. I live about 30 miles from the closest town that has anything good, but its a lot of gas to waste to drive over and find out the item is a scam or not even worth looking at.

Had a local 2nd hand store claiming to be a storage wars of Emmett, cheat me out of a bunch of money for a snow plow/winch for a UTV, then tried to take out a sellers fee or some BS, I said no you already stole the plow/winch that I told you not to sell for under a certain price that you sold for 1/2 of what I told you to sell it for, therefore you get no sellers fee. He sold my plow/winch for $150 which the winch alone was a $400 winch, and the plow was at least $300. Should have thought about it sooner and did an ebay sell, but big stuff like that its hard to set a price and shipping on.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine recently stopped by the store and said they only really sell t-shirts there. The pics confirm this.

I agree on the cl nonsense. Once I had a guy offer me an AK-?? For a truck I was selling. First off the price comparison was horrible and I'm not taking the liability of taking stolen/illegal goods for something I'm selling. Unless I'm looking for a specific item to trade I tell people cash talks, first come first served.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"$200"
"$150?"
"$100?"
"ok....I guess....$90"

Sometimes they do offer more than the potential seller wanted. It could be a ploy to make them feel good about the whole deal or something though.

Since I no longer have cable I haven't watched it for about 8 months. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals