• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pitfalls and challenges of installing a 2000 3.0l Ranger into a 1993 3.0l Ranger. both Manual, both 4x4

Wishiboughtahorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello all. I am sure that this question has been beaten to death but here it goes anyway.

I bought a 1993 Ranger 4x4 for a daily driver that according to the owner had a "bad clutch". I suspected that the clutch wasn't bad based on the symptoms but I also didn't think that the transmission was completely shot either. Turns out that transmission was dry (no oil) and as a result 4th gear is married to the shaft and it is going to be cheaper to buy a used transmission than fixing this one. So as I was searching for a used M50D-R1 transmission to replace this one and I ran across a stripped down 2000 parts truck that comes with a complete 60K mile engine (complete with wiring, PCM and all), M50D-R1 tranny that should (please correct me if I am wrong) bolt right up to my old engine, and transfer case. So my question is what kind of challenges and pitfalls will I run into if I decide to swap out the entire engine and transmission at the same time? Or should I just stick with changing the transmission and leave the old engine in place.

So the elephant in the room is why would you change out the engine if the current one runs? My answer would be that the current engine has over 200000 miles, was owned by a teenage boy who "had a lot of fun in this truck", and I have already found some issues with it (for starters it has an external antifreeze leak that I haven't identified yet. I am hoping it isn't the head). I am just not sure about the engine yet since my primary focus has been on the transmission up to this point. I almost hate to spend a lot of time putting the transmission back into the truck just to have to pull it back loose to rebuild or replace the engine. But if this newer 2000 engine is going to be a big PITA I am not sure that I want that kind of headache either.

Thanks in advance for the assist. I have read a lot of good information on this Forum already and look forward to helping others if possible

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'm sure others will chime in, but I dont believe the 3.0 engine itself changed much between 93 and 2000. The basic engine is the same but the wiring and electronics absolutely did change ALOT. You should be able to just use all the sensors and wiring from the 93 on the 2000 engine. Trying to swap the pcm and wiring from the 2000 into the 93 will be a major headache. They are just completely different systems, not to mention the 2000 pcm will have the PATS anti theft system which means it wont even start without all the PATS equipment (module, transceiver, ignition and keys) from the 2000.

So my opinion, just use the 2000 for the long block and swap everything else from the 93 onto it.

Wishiboughtahorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure others will chime in, but I dont believe the 3.0 engine itself changed much between 93 and 2000. The basic engine is the same but the wiring and electronics absolutely did change ALOT. You should be able to just use all the sensors and wiring from the 93 on the 2000 engine. Trying to swap the pcm and wiring from the 2000 into the 93 will be a major headache. They are just completely different systems, not to mention the 2000 pcm will have the PATS anti theft system which means it wont even start without all the PATS equipment (module, transceiver, ignition and keys) from the 2000.

So my opinion, just use the 2000 for the long block and swap everything else from the 93 onto it.
Thanks Dirtman! I have read other threads that are very similar and many say just change the Intake manifolds and components, would you agree? I have pictures of the 2000 and the intakes are definitely different.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes, I'd agree.. swap just the block and heads (long block) from the 2000, use everything else from the 93.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals