• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

poping in 4 wheel drive

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well last night i pulled a wrangeler out of a lake bank so i had a good chance to really pay attention to my 4x4 noise. it sounds like a tail gate slamming down!

i think there is a little slippage somewhere but the front end is pulling, i had the mud on my face to proove it cause i was staring at my front tires!!!

Wicked sludge: you're the man, your truck rocks, i hope i can get some pics of mine up one day if i ever get a camra, old one died.
As I stated before, your hubs are slipping and failing to firmly engage the axleshaft. This often happens because there is a vacuum leak, which does not allow the hubs to engage completely, or the hub itself is wasted. I have had this problem before, and I have fixed many of my friends 98-00 4x4s with this problem.

Check your vacuum lines, and check the black hub disconnect by taking it off.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've seen a few reports in the past about t-case chain slippage in some '98-'00 or so T-cases. If a set of hubs doesn't fix the issue, then the t-case might be the next thing to look at.
Yes and I have personally seen it in a few Sportrac's as well. Guy bought it at an auction and brought it to us to diag the very violent and loud banging when in 4x4.

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks 4x4rangerguy. sorry i forgot to mention that my hubs have been locked for about 2 years now, i did the mod to perm. lock them b/c of course the pulse vacum system failed. i'll check out the hubs when i get time. however i must confess i'm thinking about just trading this truck in on something with a little more power and a little less miles.

77'cj7

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Doug, my 98 used to do the same thing. I believe it was probably a hub issue, as the hubs were quite rusty. However, I replaced the hubs with manuals at the same time i put in a 1354M t-case so possibility of a t-case issue. T-case is unlikely culprit in my situation though, as the case had been recently rebuilt, due to a stretched chain (damn electric shift would finally decide to engage when i had given up getting it into 4x4, and was trying to throttle it out in 2wd)

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
solved!

it was just the ball joint deal in the front drive shaft, guess i'm looking for a new shaft now.

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Someone mentioned t-case chain slippage. Is this a common failure?

'00 4.0 5-speed

b_aldredeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Someone mentioned t-case chain slippage. Is this a common failure?

'00 4.0 5-speed
it was on mine 4x4 high was fine when i went to low it made all kinds of noise went to the juck yard and got one for 400.00 put it in and fixed the prob. i know what tour my old one up my buddies would get stuck and i would have to pull them out thats what got it.

soylent_green

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
when at an idle in 1st gear low range, mine starts out smooth, but sometimes starts bucking like theres slack in the driveline. I also sometimes hear a loud PING sound when going from foreward to reverse or vice versa. Does it sound to you like we have the same problem?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals