• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

portable 12v defroster

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Has anybody used any 12 volt defroster. My defrost in my BII is weak. It doesnt blow out much heat. Just wondering if they work the way they say.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have been thinking about buying one here lately. my dad got one from harbor freight a few years back and it didnt last long. stay with a good brand for sure....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Do you have air conditioning?

Turn it on.

You only need a little heat. And if a 2.9L isn't putting out enough, the question isn't how to defog the windows, but how to fix your cooling system (and probably the cracked heads).

If the airflow is weak, dig out all the leaves from the heater/evaporator box.

The idea that a 12V defroster is going to do ANYTHING (aside from MAYBE blow a fuse or two) is less than sane. Most hairdriers (which approximates what you're trying to do) are 1500W. Exercise #1 is figuring out how many amps you're about to try to pump through your electrical system. Exercise #2 is to find out what your biggest fuse is. If you can't do either of these, do NOT F with your electrical system or you'll break it.

Last edited:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I dont have AC. I have swapped in a 4.0 so no cracked heads. It is not the fog on the windshield but the frost that I am working on. We get a lot of freezing rain in this part on Kentucky. I will check for leaves but I have a decent amount of air flow. Might as well flush the heater core too I guess.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Let's put it this way.

It's right around freezing at night now where I live. The heater on full blast is uncomfortably hot. I have to turn it almost half way down to stand it. This is a stock 1991 4.0L with the two-row radiator.

Having said that, asking to melt ice with air is asking a great deal. Air doesn't hold heat very well at all, compared to ice. Unless it's a very thin layer, you'll have to scrape it off.

And while 4.0Ls are less prone to head cracks than 2.9Ls, they aren't immune. Check out that cooling system very carefully.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea i bought one. it was only $15 and just to have a little heat long before my engine is even luke warm....its okay for that. it doesnt put out nearly enough heat to melt ice any faster than starting your truck 10 mins early with the heat on. i havent needed it for a defogger so i cant comment there. as far as the electrical issue, its rated at 200W (i think) and 16A and has a 20A fuse inline in the cord. i havent blown a fuse.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The heat is warm in my b2 after about 1/4 mile. I have never seen a vehicle warm up so fast.

It's nice, but like Mike said, It will run you out real quick.

synapse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought one at a pilot truck stop that works great for what it is. Its the best one, it will heat your truck ok also. It blows pretty hard and was made for 18wheelers. It comes with screws and straps. The ones at autozone and advance suck.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals