• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible head gasket leak?? Looking for advice

390Fastback

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 so far
Transmission
Manual
My credo
hard and fast
I picked up my 84 Ranger 4x4 in the fall and finally have it running. But its blowing white smoke. I'm guessing its burning coolant, but if the head gasket was leaking would I not see bubbles in the rad? Theres no oil on the coolant nor is there water in the oil? Thoughts and advice appreciated.

thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do the Glove Test, 100% yes or no answer

Cold engine
Rad cap off
Remove overflow hose and plug its port on rad cap opening, gum, putty, vacuum cap, ect.....
Coolant level should be down about an inch from the top for the test, lower is fine.

Disconnect coil wire, you want a No start

Place latex glove over rad cap opening and seal it in place with rubber band
OR.....you can use a balloon or even a Condom in place of the glove

Crank engine over and watch the glove
If there is a cylinder leak into cooling system, (AKA head gasket/cracked head issue), then glove will bounce up each time that cylinder is on it's compression stroke
So bouncing glove would indicate a problem, if it just lays there then no cylinder leak problem.

If glove does bounce then remove 1 spark plug at a time and crank engine, when glove stops bouncing the last spark plug removed is from the leaking cylinder, replace it to confirm.

If glove just lays there then there can be coolant leaks in intake manifold that can let coolant flow into air passages to be sucked into cylinders and burned, causing the white smoke, the white smoke needs to smell sweet if it is coolant, no mistaking that smell.
Water in the exhaust system is normal, which is why tail pipes drip water and exhaust systems rust from the inside out
So some white smoke on startup/warm up can be normal depending on outside temp and humidity
In warmer air you don't see it, the water vapor, but in colder air it condenses as soon as it leaves the tail pipe so you see it, as white smoke

Last edited:

390Fastback

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 so far
Transmission
Manual
My credo
hard and fast
That's an awesome idea, thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals