• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Oh wow. Back from the dead indeed. Welcome back. Can't wait to see this get worked on again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Too bad you are on the wrong side of the country. I'd buy the engine, harnesses, and the whole setup from you.

I tried putting one in my Ranger and couldn't get it to run right, needed the truck done, so I gave up and put the OHV engine back in.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too bad you are on the wrong side of the country. I'd buy the engine, harnesses, and the whole setup from you.

I tried putting one in my Ranger and couldn't get it to run right, needed the truck done, so I gave up and put the OHV engine back in.
I'd let it go for cheap. Shipping via Fastenal these days is cheap too. That said, it was running kinda crappy the last time I fired it up, I think the ECU might have some moisture damage. I have an MS1 v3.0 with USB I have 80% built that I would throw in for free.... Either way, It can equally sit outside my shop for eternity as well.

The brain time I've had allocated to it over the last few days has mainly been in addressing the T-case situation. My intent has been an FSB 1356, which would be my easiest route. I think the JY has one I might pull, we'll see. However, I have a 1356 slip unit on my core rack, and I've been thinking about building a 1356/1354 doubler. I could do it almost free, with the only cost being material and the heat treat for the doubler shaft after I machine it. It's hard for me to decide, because the doubler is a ton of work, but as far as I know, unique. Dropping in the 1356 from a bronco would be the easiest and most affordable... I'm just not sure right now, I'll make that decision when I have to.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to try and get the interior pressure washed while it's nice and can dry properly. Next project is to start pulling the engine/trans.

I'll get some pics up when things are pic worthy...

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Little update, nothing really substantial.

I've decided to take the HO engine I have and build that. It's been hard for me to make time to get to the JY, so I'll make do with what I have until it comes time to get the front accessories, and I'll get the explorer stuff then.

After much deliberation, I've decided to send the HO intake to T-Moss and work his end (yes I understand all the aspects of the situation, and it's literally the most economical way to get where I want to be with this engine, I've been stirring on it for a couple weeks)...

I flow tested my GT40 heads I ported over a decade ago, and am very happy with what I got out of them... No flow bench then, just a kid in the garage grinding away with the best info available.

Intake:

.100- 55cfm
.200- 130cfm
.300- 184cfm
.400- 208cfm
.500- 218cfm
.600- 218cfm

Exhaust:

.100- 35cfm
.200- 102cfm
.300- 145cfm
.400- 171cfm
.500- 188cfm
.550- 189cfm (coil bind on the test spring)

I have a couple of IDI's to finish up before I can do the machine work on this thing, but as soon as I am done with those, I'll drop some pics of the 302 up on the machines, and all the other details.

94sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd let it go for cheap. Shipping via Fastenal these days is cheap too.
this is so true, I got the narrowed HP d44(complete with hiem DOM steering) for my SAS radius arms, duff buckets, track bar, etc west virgina to montana for about 300$ on a 48x48 pallet.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plugging along, not a huge update...

Engine is all broke down. Crank was shot.... Leading me to my next step. I started adding up the cost of the parts I was going to use anyway, as well as having the crank reground, and my time into reworking the stock rods, and it would be like $100 more for a stroker kit.... So that saves me some time and I get some cubes out of it, that's the direction I'm going.

Intake is on its way to T-Moss, I'll get some pics of that after I get it back.

Spray washer was open tonight between diesel heads and blocks, so I tossed the block in and got it cleaned up.

I'll get some more up when stuff starts showing up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals