• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh, I apologise for taking so long!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, I apologize for taking so long!
No worries, bud. I've had an awful winter financially speaking. In a week I'll send you a little sumpthin sumpthin. We'll get this going then.

:popcorn:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I know the feeling! Look up dave ramsey's total money makeover. Trust me, it works if you stick to it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm just not getting enough hours. The boss isn't getting a lot of full days for the truck. Its coming together though. There's a big project starting that'll use lots of trucks.
:icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well after a long break from this thing for some reason I decided to prioritize it again. To tell the truth my interest dropped to about zero for a while. Life and other stuff that had been on the back burner was moved up. My issues with the Exploder really took a toll on how I viewed RBV's.
The ol' lady has been harping on me to "get rid of it (Ranger)" cuz she wants her garage back. Nevermind the excessive amount I have invested. :rolleyes:
The Exploder will be parted into this pig.

Anyways, first order of business is to finish the SAS. I will drive it out of the garage out of spite alone. :icon_thumby:

(when I find the cord that charges my camera I'll post pix.)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up some Radius arm to Frame rail brackets from Rowdy Fitzgerald after seriously ducking the fog for several months about it. lol (Sorry, Rowdy.)
They arrived yesterday and today I'm gonna clean em up and paint em. I'll mock them up on the truck after cleaning and painting the frame thereabouts. I ordered radius arm bushings and 7* C bushings this morning, to arrive tomorrow.
Next weekend if things go reasonably well I'll mock the axle beam under it.

Minor change of plans: I want the SAS under the truck to make it a roller again. It won't be a fully rebuilt, geared and locked axle. Yet. I have to go in stages.
The Detroit or Yukon Grizzly locker is a grand+ up here in Canada. I have the 4.88's already. 4340 Chromo shafts are on the wishlist too.
It too two days of searching to find a local company that can sell me early Bronco col springs. Skyjackers @ https://www.4wheelparts.com/ (Langley, BC who knew?)

I also want the SBF under the hood asap too.

Another change of plans: Once again, I have to keep the Sploder for a while longer. Hard to believe but that POS has been the most reliable RBV I've ever owned so far. Thats not really saying much though. I've had far more reliable vehicles before.

Stay tuned. :popcorn:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sure enough, Princess Auto sells grade 8 bolts (1/2" X 1' long for $0.87 each so I covered that today. Discovered I'm missing one of the bigass cupped washers that goes on the end of the radius arms. I'm going to substitute with a large flat washer or two.
I didn't make the progress I'd hoped to after all. First, its been hot as hades here and I really hate hot days. Second I pinched a nerve in the small of my back Wednesday afternoon. Sucks. I'm moving around some today but I walk like a sped.
Meh. Tomorrow's another day and Monday's a stat. :icon_thumby:

Heck, I haven't bucked the 2wd suspension out of that deathtrap yet.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have a two week window of opportunity to get some things done on this reject. The ol' lady is visiting an aunt or something. Or whatever.
So I can find a starting point and go from there. The 4.0/A4LD and I think theres a 1354 T-case under it are getting yanked. Its mostly unbuttoned already. Its not going back. Its getting a small block swap. I don't have that part yet though.
See how far I can get on the SAS too.

Bear in mind I'm lazy and poor so lets see what little damage I can do.

:popcorn:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lmao youre a funny guy. Hope your back gets better. I did the same thing a few years back. The best thing I've found that helps is setting flat on the ground then crossing one leg and putting your ankle as close to the hip as you can. Then pull that crossed leg towards your chest as far as you can. It stretches the sciatic nerve which helps alleviate the pain and tight lower back muscles. Do it with both legs.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Rowdy. Both for the compliment and advice. :D

I'm going out Saturday to pick up a 1990 351 Windsor shortblock. Was rebuilt at a local trade school 10,000 ago supposedly. No cam but theres a Comp cam on Craplist new in box with matching valve springs and retainers.

So its coming together. Its just pathetically slow.

:lame:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The 351 Windsor is sitting in the back of the Sploder. $300. Came with some extra stuff like a front timing cover (for a FI 351W) rear sump pan, pump and pickup along with some bolts, pushrods and the like. It didn't come with a balancer that I've found yet.
My camera isn't working again, It might be the battery. It isn't taking a charge. I'll post pix when I have them.

:beer: with me. I'm having technical difficulties. :icon_thumby:

Edit: It has a front sump pan and I'm going to assume theres no way thats going to work.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
As usual I haven't been making huge strides on this mess.
Today I kinda lucked out on a new in box Spectra dual sump oil pan with a new in box Melling 68-S4 pickup for $80 off Craplist. Last weekend it was a new flexplate and proper bolts for it. I realize that going this route with the engine will two bit me to death in small parts, nuts, bolts and washers.
Its also slower than hell.
I'll try tomorrow for a double roller timing chain but its Thanksgiving weekend here in the great white north. So nothing will be open of course.

I'm left with the cam, lifters, balancer and water pump to complete the shortblock. And fasteners. I have basically none. Probably order that stuff out of the States.
Amazingly, the gf hasn't found the small block in her garage. :icon_thumby:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Good to see you're making progress!

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Rowdy. I guess slow progress is still progress.

I have no idea what way to go on heads or cam. I've never done a Ford engine before. Can't be too bad though...

If anybody answers, its going to run on propane. Thats probably the biggest variable.
:D

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals