• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Mini VelociRaptor

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Got the itch a while back to do something stupid, so I put the Volcano S30 under the knife :icon_welder:

Excuse the dirt, I had to test it before I posted it :icon_twisted:

Removal of old SH .18 and single speed transmission

Arrival of the new nVision NVB521 (basically a rebranded Team Orion CRF) .21 for an 1/8 scale

I didnt get a good picture of the new 2 speed before I installed it, but here they both are bolted up and gear meshed

Better view of the Dynamite tuned pipe. It has the High speed pipe, but I'm considering getting the mid range one for the DTS-1 racing system I just got.

I had to do some remanuevering of the rear suspension to get the manifold to fit and not have to move the engine and transmission forward. I removed the inside spring and shock and moved the spring to the outside shock to keep it level. I mirrored this on the other side just to keep balance in the handling of the truck

The exhaust is just barely out of the way of the new tires (it was definitely in the way of the old ones).

And to protect this madness, I've gotten a Ford Raptor body meant for a Stampede and painted it to match as closely as I could my actual Ranger.

I got lucky and the body naturally curled inward on the sides and completely misses the exhaust, but doesnt go in far enough to mess with any moving parts.

Aaaaaaand glamor shot

Right now it has a minor traction issue. Breaks all 4 tires loose from a rolling start on concrete. To help control this thing I got a new radio (Venom VR3T) to ease into the throttle for me, and it helps a lot. I know, I know, it didn't fix the traction issue since it only slowed down the acceleration, but I'm still working on that. When it hooks up, this thing rolls pretty good. If you pump the gas, it'll hop up on the back tires at around 25-30 mph. We clocked it at 53 in a straight with a broken 2nd gear (already fixed it, but havent gotten to to a re-test). This transmission came out of a truggy and was designed for torque so it wasn't made with top speed in mind. There is a set of high-speed gears that are direct drop in that I may get just for fun.

Any suggestions? Criticisms? I love my feed back :icon_thumby:

Oh and I should have videos soon :icon_cheers:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I'm not into rc cars but it looks really cool and I think it should move out real good. I like when people upgrade stuff like that. :icon_cheers:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Cool, I love nitro's but sometimes they can be a pain. I gotta fix mine after I destroyed it. Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals