• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "Snail's Pace": 1986 Ranger Rebuild

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks man, every compliment helps!

Got the parts in from LMC Truck yesterday. Bosses decided to make us work a 10 hours shift today (usually off on weekends) so not much time to work on the truck. Did manage to get the last two old cab mounts off, got the sleeves cut down to where I can re-use them. Plan to get out tomorrow and get what of the frame remains unpainted cleaned and prepped for it. If that goes well, I may get the cab bolted back to the frame too.

Was notified Thursday that for the next three weeks I will be working a 12 hours shift 5 days a week, and probably 10 hours each Saturday. Since I still have to stay on top of school work it'll put a damper on truck progress for a few weeks.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well a few weeks turned into more than a few months, but I'm back on the project now. I pulled the dash on the Explorer, stripped the harness, and started trimming out circuits I won't need.

Just ordered and received the following components from Summit Racing:
Dorman Double Sump Oil Pan
Summit Oil Pickup Tube
FelPro Permadry Oil Pan Gasket
Mildon Ford Oil Pan Bolt Kit
Canton Remote Oil Adapter
Perma-Cool Oil Filter Mount
Aeroquip 1/2 NPT to 8 AN adapter (4)

The ID of the 8 AN is smaller than the 1/2 NPT so I'll be swapping the fittings out for 10 AN. The 10 AN might still be silghtly smaller, but it'll be much closer to the same size.

I haven't bolted the cab back to the frame yet but I figured I might need to move it around a little. Not entirely sure that I got it repositioned perfectly after setting it back on the frame. So once I have the engine in and bolted down I'll position the cab and bolt it down.

Couple things left to do and the I'll be ready to yank the engine and put it in the hole. Since I am swapping in the Explorer's harness I have to make the hole in the firewall for the main harness connector to pass through. I am going to cut the ECU into the firewall like it is in the Explorer as well but that's not going to be quite as easy I think. Have to bend over the seam in the transmission tunnel between the firewall and the floor pan, might not be necessary but easier to do it now than while trying to position the engine and transmission. While I'm working in there I need to yank the cover off of the AC box, pulled the fan out and it looks like a rats nest in there. Figure it's better to clean all that stuff out good than risk a fire while I'm molding the box to (hopefully) fit around the valve cover.

Removed the core support on the Ranger today, figured given where I am working and the truck being lowered it is easier to bolt the core on than the transmission on. I also cut the section out of the Explorer firewall where the harness passes through to use as a template or attach to the Ranger firewall if necessary. One afternoon this week I'll get that hole cut and hopefully the holes made for the ECU mounting box. Then I'll strip the engine bay on the Explorer as much as necessary to remove the engine, probably sawzall the core support on it to to make removal really easy.

The goal is to have then engine in the bay by the weekend after next. I have the entire week of Thanksgiving scheduled off so that shouldn't be a problem but I don't intend to be working on it the whole time either. For now it's time to finish the last of my homework for school this week, then hit the sack so I can go hunting tomorrow and Monday.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good bud! Very nice find on the V8 Explorer....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals