• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question regarding 2.5L cams

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've been looking into putting a bit beefier cam into the 2.5L in my 98 ranger and I've been looking around, so far my options are custom ground or a performance cam for the older pinto engines, I wanted to ask if fine to put a Pinto cam into the 98 2.5l, I swear I remember reading something about there being a difference between the 2.3 and 2.5 head where you can't swap a 2.5 cam into a 2.3 head due to an issue with Cam followers but not 100% sure if I'm making it up or just can't remember where I read it. But my question is will a performance cam for the Pinto engine work on the 2.5 Lima?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The Pinto/Mustang cams are designed for use with 'flat followes' vs the roller followers on a 2.5 cam. If you want to swap in a performance cam you would also have to swap followers. Additionally, the valve stem diameter on the later models, 95-up for Rangers(I think...) is smaller, which may be fine, but may allow more follower motion than desired as the valve stems on older models are larger, thus the tip of the follower has a larger recess.
You can even go to solid lifters/supports if you like to adjust valve clearance, as I think some of Esslinger or Racer Walsh cams were able to use them.
tom

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The Pinto/Mustang cams are designed for use with 'flat followes' vs the roller followers on a 2.5 cam. If you want to swap in a performance cam you would also have to swap followers. Additionally, the valve stem diameter on the later models, 95-up for Rangers(I think...) is smaller, which may be fine, but may allow more follower motion than desired as the valve stems on older models are larger, thus the tip of the follower has a larger recess.
You can even go to solid lifters/supports if you like to adjust valve clearance, as I think some of Esslinger or Racer Walsh cams were able to use them.
tom
I'm looking at this kit http://racerwalsh.com/product/2-3-hydraulic-roller-cam-kit-cam-followers-springs-retainers-lifters-rwa-1904/
Would this be fine to use or would I have to change more such as valves?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The followers are used, from the listing. Question is whether they have early (89-94) or late (85-up) vintage. The former have larger diameter valve stem clearance where they push on the valve. The latter would have narrower valve stem pocket width to work with the smaller diameter stems used in 95-up.
Thataz lotta beans for a cam swap. Personally I think more performance could be gotten from a turbo, though I don't know the cost.
One brother had a turbo T-bird. It was fast. He had a friend with an SVO Mustang(turbo). It was FASTer. Scary fast.
tom

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The followers are used, from the listing. Question is whether they have early (89-94) or late (85-up) vintage. The former have larger diameter valve stem clearance where they push on the valve. The latter would have narrower valve stem pocket width to work with the smaller diameter stems used in 95-up.
Thataz lotta beans for a cam swap. Personally I think more performance could be gotten from a turbo, though I don't know the cost.
One brother had a turbo T-bird. It was fast. He had a friend with an SVO Mustang(turbo). It was FASTer. Scary fast.
tom
I've never wanted to deal with turbos, I've set a couple up on my friends volvos and I never want to do it again, I hate having to plumb the oil, water and intercooler. If I went for boost is get the supercharger off a thunderbird but they're hard to find

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals