• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions about fuel Injectors

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the 4.0l has 19lbs Injectors would it increase horse power to install 24lbs Injectors?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I doubt it. The ECU fires an injector for a calculated period of time. With a bigger injector, at the same fuel pressure, the injector doesn't need to be open as long to give the proper amount of fuel. So the ECU is supposed to figure that out and adjust the "open time" usually called duty cycle. If the injector size is too far out of range, then the ECU won't be able to correct and your fuel ratios will be wrong. In other words, don't do it unless you understand all the ramifications and have tools and skill to retune it to work properly.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Ericbphoto is correct.

Increasing injector size without tuning will likely make your engine not run, or run like sh*t.

I run 24lb injectors on my 2.9, but I also have an aftermarket ECU. Injector changes for most tuning systems are 3-4 keystrokes. My ECU is set up to change the fuel map to match the volume of fuel my injectors can flow

If you do want a crisper throttle response, you can go to multiple hole injectors. May not do much for power, though. Then again, it may. Ymmv.

Looking for easy ways to get a little more oomph out of the 4.slow? (serious question, not sarcasm ??)

@ericbphoto: I really hate being "that guy", but injector opening time is pulsewidth. Duty cycle is a percentage of how much fuel an injector can flow. So at a given pulsewidth of X, an injector is at Y% of its duty cycle. Sorry if I'm coming off as a dick.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
@ericbphoto: I really hate being "that guy", but injector opening time is pulsewidth. Duty cycle is a percentage of how much fuel an injector can flow. So at a given pulsewidth of X, an injector is at Y% of its duty cycle. Sorry if I'm coming off as a dick.
No problem. I know enough to give some advice and to know that I don't know it all. I have some friends in drag racing and I am learning a lot from them. But I haven't built an engine with stand-alone ECU yet. I have just enough knowledge to get started and to figure out what else I still need to learn. I may have gotten a term wrong. But I was in the ballpark with helping him figure out it's not "that easy".

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
No problem. I know enough to give some advice and to know that I don't know it all. I have some friends in drag racing and I am learning a lot from them. But I haven't built an engine with stand-alone ECU yet. I have just enough knowledge to get started and to figure out what else I still need to learn. I may have gotten a term wrong. But I was in the ballpark with helping him figure out it's not "that easy".

Don't kid yourself, you know a hell of a lot more than you think ??

Standalone ECU is crazy easy. If I can do it, anyone can.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the responses you all have confirmed what I was thinking. I am looking to replace Injectors because I have 3 that have gone bad somehow during the rebuild. (they worked fine prior to tear down)

Due to money will probably just replace the 3 and clean the 3 working ones. (I know they should be replaced all @ the same time)

Lance Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 RANGER WITH
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Ericbphoto is correct.

Increasing injector size without tuning will likely make your engine not run, or run like sh*t.

I run 24lb injectors on my 2.9, but I also have an aftermarket ECU. Injector changes for most tuning systems are 3-4 keystrokes. My ECU is set up to change the fuel map to match the volume of fuel my injectors can flow

If you do want a crisper throttle response, you can go to multiple hole injectors. May not do much for power, though. Then again, it may. Ymmv.

Looking for easy ways to get a little more oomph out of the 4.slow? (serious question, not sarcasm ??)

I put v10 injecters in my stock 2.5 it helped it a lot low end and mid throttle responce

Lance Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 RANGER WITH
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Iv addeded a turbo and intercooler and haven't programmed stock computer so my question is what are you guys using to rewrite maps and what are you using to program the computer cause I absolutely have to change the maps to get this girl to run right

Lance Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 RANGER WITH
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know what size injecters are in a 460

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Anybody know what size injecters are in a 460
24lb/hr.

Stuffing heavier fuel injectors in a stock engine is more less like the guy bolting a 750 double pumper on a stock 302, minus the flooding.

Now, if you up the amount of air coming in by a large margin (by forced induction, etc) then heavier injectors will help assuming the ECM is reading all that extra airflow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals