• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions for 3.0 to 4.0 swap for a 94 5 speed ranger

Kestrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, Im very new here. This is actually going to be my first post. But i have no idea where to turn for help so i started looking for a forum eith some experienced people that could help me out.
I have a 94 mazda b300. Basically a 2wd 3.0 ford ranger. My engine locked up on me last night and im trying to figure out what i can do about a new engine. I dknt like the idea of a used engine but will if money gets really tight. I have for a while now wanted to do a v8 swap when i haf the money to do the engine, trans, suspension snd everythibg at once but have yet to save up enough for it all when my engine finally gave out. I want to, instead and since it seems to be cheaper since money is limited. Besides i really hate the 3.0 that lacks power and is a real pain to do an oil change on lol.
My main question im trying to ask, would a 4.0 fit in my truck, which from what i have read it will, but what will need to be modded to allow it to fit? And would tbe 4.0 mate up to my transmission or will i have to get a new tranny as well? My truck is a 94, with a 5 speed manual and is 2wd.
Any help and advice will be hugely appriciated!!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The 4.0 will bolt into place, as it uses the same motor mounts.

However the 4.0 and 3.0 have different bellhousing bolt patterns, so you'll need the 4.0 transmission and the engine wiring harness.

As far as everything else like the starter, exhaust, fuel lines, air box, throttle cable, radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc. I am not sure what will and will not work. Someone else can chime in on those.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank u! I just got a chance to look up the trans that i will need since the 4.0 pattern is different. I will need an M5R1 so i can keep the 5 speed. I hope this doesnt sound too stupid to ask, but does it matter that my vehicle isnt 4x4 if im only doibg the engine and trans for now?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

All the Rangers from 1990 to 2012 used the M5OD-R1(M5R1) manual transmissions, regardless of engine size.

BUT...........the M5R1 does NOT have a detachable bell housing, so an M5R1 is not interchangeable between engines
2.3l/2.5l, 3.0l and 4.0l engines all have different bolt patterns, so manual or automatic transmissions are not swap-able from on size to the another
2WD and 4x4 transmissions have different tail shafts so if you have a 2WD then you need a 2WD transmission, manual or automatic
In a pinch your M5R1 3.0l tail shaft and housing could be swapped over to a 4.0l M5R1 since that part is detachable, not a simple swap but certainly do-able.

To change engine size you need transmission for that size engine and you also need to swap the computer and wiring harness.
3.0l computer can't operate 4.0l engine and visa versa, same as 3.0l computer couldn't run a V8 engine

You least expensive option would be to fix what you have if possible or to get a 1991 to 2008 3.0l from another Ranger or B3000 to swap in, just want/need the block and heads, long block swap
You will use your current intakes and exhaust manifold, as well as oil pan and bolt on accessories, i.e. alt, AC, PS, ect......

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals