• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radius arm bushing on TTB quick question

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hey all,

I am dreading doing the radius arm bushings , and was wondering if instead of taking everything apart at the knuckle end, I could just grind out the rivets on the bushing bracket and pull it off the frame to swap the bushing, and then just replace the rivets with bolts after?

Also if you would like to suggest rubber vs polyurethane I am still torn on this decision as well. Leaning towards poly...

Cheers-Eddo

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can definitely do that. I guess I don't think that's the easy way, to me it's easier to pull the spring, loosen both pinch bolts and the radius arm should pull out of the crossmember fairly easily. Being in CA you shouldn't have much rust to deal with, that's the main thing on those pinch bolts. Do one side at a time.

I hate poly bushings. Usually I use the rubber ones from O'Reilly, most parts stores just sell poly.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never done it on a 4WD, but once on a 73 E300 one ton van. Once I got done it didn't seem like a big deal.
I had some good heavy rubber too from somewhere, might have been roofing rubber maybe. Installed it between most the rub points and over and under the springs

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Someone had drilled the rivets out and put bolts in on a f150 I had long ago. When I went to replace the bushings again, I appreciated that.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
You can definitely do that. I guess I don't think that's the easy way, to me it's easier to pull the spring, loosen both pinch bolts and the radius arm should pull out of the crossmember fairly easily. Being in CA you shouldn't have much rust to deal with, that's the main thing on those pinch bolts. Do one side at a time.

I hate poly bushings. Usually I use the rubber ones from O'Reilly, most parts stores just sell poly.
Meh idk that seems like more work than me, I would rather grind metal than turn big bolts. I grind metal anyways at work, plenty of tool options.

Despite being in CA, things still rust...Its more of a dry rust.

Why do you hate poly bushings? Besides the squeakier and rougher ride...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My experience with poly bushings overall has been good, although in the very beginning I did have red color ones that came as part of a suspension lift, which they only lasted about 4 years before starting to crumble. The black poly ones I replaced them with have lasted far longer (I guess the black pigment somehow protects the urethane better from UV rays). I also have extended arms, I don't know if that might play a role in their longevity (them not being flexed up & down quite as far).

I also think it's more work to grind out a bunch of rivets than to remove the coil nut and loosen the radius arm bolts (at least provided the threaded bung inside the beam hasn't broke loose, I did have to deal with that once). But if you're used to grinding steel, then go for it. Either way, it can be done (and if you ever do a suspension lift or something in the future, then removal of the rivets will already be out of the way).

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I use poly bushings also, but there is a reason the factory doesn't use them. They are noisy. Nothing objectionable, but you will get a little more road noise, and a little more drivetrain noise through the harder bushings. Everything is a trade-off.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Meh idk that seems like more work than me, I would rather grind metal than turn big bolts. I grind metal anyways at work, plenty of tool options.

Despite being in CA, things still rust...Its more of a dry rust.

Why do you hate poly bushings? Besides the squeakier and rougher ride...
I don't feel that they last as long as rubber and they are noisy.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't recall how but somehow raised the truck by the coil spring and released everything holding it, then lowered the frame onto a jack stand and then released the coil. Going back was just a reversal. I was actually surprised at how well it went

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals