• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rain Barrel Setup

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
It's not heating but this is the sort of rain barrel setup I use. Usually you can find the blue barrels for cheap or free since companies just want to get rid of them. The barrel goes upside down, use a 4" hole saw and a 4" downspout adapter will pop right in. Seals tight, don't need a screen. A 1" hole at the top with 1" PVC for the overflow, runs into my drainage pipes. A 3/4" hole at the bottom (formerly the top) with a 3/4" boiler valve to hook your hose to, I use ball valves. I have one on each back corner of my house so I put two holes 180* apart to run a balance hose between them. The hose runs around the corner of my house to a $59 pump from Harbor Freight, then out of that to a splitter, one goes in the basement window to fill the washing machine and the other to the garden hose to wash our vehicles. Saves me $20 a month on my water bill in the warmer months. I take it down for the winter and put the regular downspouts back on.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/how-to-create-a-rain-barrel

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I always wanted to do that for my two gardens but I don't have a large enough roof area for collection, and I can never exceed my $7 per month minimum for the water bill anyway.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I get a $100 a year in a tax rebate for my system. Some hippy water conservation fund thing. I'm not turning down free money...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I get a $100 a year in a tax rebate for my system. Some hippy water conservation fund thing. I'm not turning down free money...
Where I live it is technically illegal to send rainwater into the sanitary sewers so I only use the rain barrel water for washing my vehicles. The Y connector is only used as a shutoff and not to attach a short hose to go into my basement to fill the washing machine. We would never do that behind the tall wooden fence around my backyard for the dogs that makes the rain barrels barely visible.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Also I should mention that we do not use the rain water only on the wash cycle where it doesn't matter so much and let the washer use the city water for the rinse. That way the rinse water is cleaner, not that the rain water is dirty, the barrel design lets dirt settle to the bottom below the outlet valves, and you can get more wash loads that way. If we were to use rain water in the washer, which of course we don't. :censored:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Does your eye always twitch like that or were you winking?

Wink wink

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My father built the house I live in. It sits in the same spot that the 1910 house sit, that we lived in until I was 6. The roof measures 60ft east to west, with an 18 ft ridge, almost too steep to walk on. I'd gladly pipe you fellas some of our rainwater if I could, when and if it ever rains, because when it does, my yards turn into a marsh.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Have you ever found a pump strong enough to run to a power washer effectively? My little pump doesn't put out enough volume or pressure to let my power washer work right... think it needs to be something like 60psi into the power washer.

Always thought it would be nice to be able to power wash my truck and ATV off my barrels.

I also wanna hook up my RO/DI filtration system to them for emergency apocalypse drinking water but again, the filter needs high psi to work. Even on 65psi tap water it only puts out like 50 gallons per day.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just have the garden hose on the well which is not safe for drinking but safe enough for washing crap off vehicles and watering flowers.

There used to be an elaborate gutter system on the barn roof for filling stock tanks though.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Have you ever found a pump strong enough to run to a power washer effectively? My little pump doesn't put out enough volume or pressure to let my power washer work right... think it needs to be something like 60psi into the power washer.

Always thought it would be nice to be able to power wash my truck and ATV off my barrels.

I also wanna hook up my RO/DI filtration system to them for emergency apocalypse drinking water but again, the filter needs high psi to work. Even on 65psi tap water it only puts out like 50 gallons per day.
I got a pump from Harbor Freight, they don't have that one anymore but it's similar to this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/110-hp-transfer-pump-63317.html

I've run my power washer of of it with no issues. I thought about a filtration system but I live in town and the cost I didn't think was worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals