• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Camper

nsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
After lurking for a couple of years I thought it was time to introduce my self and my old truck, as I understand it she is some what unusual as she is a1992 2.3L 4x4 5 speed, I drove her of the dealers lot with 12km on her, were at ~380,000km (~232,000 miles) now.
For the first 15 years of her life she was the DD after that a winter beater and camping rig, on the east coat we live in salt, salt air and tons of it on the roads she has probably survived so long due to my practice of getting under neath and spraying what ever vile contortion I had handy on the chassis for a long time diesel and old engine oil, recently the formula changed to diesel (or white spirits), bar oil and a little wax. It's a pretty disgusting job but it's one of the few frames that haven't rotted away around here.

The camping rig has been fun here is a picture of the first version

Good looking driver!
This version is pretty tiny, small double bed, a bench for cooking, porta-potty and storage, it's plywood and wood frame construction and was built very light probably around 350lbs I could easily lift one end.
Minimal affect on handling (when down) could still get around 24mpg on the back roads less at highway speed due to windage

Off course it got bigger

The truck has also been repainted this was the first paint roller and Tremclad job, lasted about 7 years

Top part way up, I've tried various mechanical lifting methods over the years but keep coming back to simply lifting it up.

It feels a lot roomer in side but we have gained 40-50lbs, and then a few years later I stripped all the paint off and covered it a layer of fiberglass cloth and epoxy so we gained more weight maybe 50lbs.
Weight is really important with these little trucks the GVWR doesn't allow much wriggle room after allowing for occupants and camping gear the camper really needs to be under 500lbs, I never did weight it but judging by the way it handled and experience with the next version I would say GVWR was a few hundred lbs under.

This rig worked pretty well we did numerous trips around the maritimes and Newfoundland over 7 years or so.

Off course we added more weight.

And another Tremclad paint job! the box has gone and been replaced by a heavy duty deck/box which turned out to be too heavy (any body want a wooden box?).
We also acquired another passion, heading into the back country on extended canoe trips so the is also an extra 100lbs of camping gear +canoe on board.
When we final got her to a scale we were 298lbs over GVWR, still it handled well, we lighten up as best we could and carried on with a 15,000km trans Canada trip, sure we were a bit slow up some of the mountain passes but the 4 banger always was and it had 375,000km on it by then.
Never had a problem we could attributed to weight, the only problem we had was a new thermostat sticking open, not bad for a 26 year old overloaded truck.

It's a bit of a grunt getting the top up with the canoe, I've added some struts which help.
Just after this picture was taken I added some air shocks which make the truck look a lot lighter even if it does nothing for GVWR.
With the added weight and windage mileage is now ~17-20mpg.

Back country campsite in BC

Were planning a trip across Canada and up into the Yukon next year so I've been doing a lot of work on the truck to get it ready,
the first step was to loose some weight, the heavy wood box (2x6"construction) has been replaced with a 1/4" plywood stitch and glue box which is ~200lbs lighter, I've got a few more modifications in mind.
Rebuilt the engine this summer it's got about 3000km on it now, it's the first engine I've done so the fingers are still crossed. I've just finished the bearings and seals in the gearbox and transfer case, they seem OK but I've only got 30km on them, the differential was done just before the last trans Canada trip so the drive chain should be in pretty good shape, with a bit of luck this truck should last longer than I do.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS. I saw you testing your pics and was wondering how the camper worked. Great job and great story telling.

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Nice add on pics and work on both the bed and the camper. Very well executed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals