• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger ECM identification

Drive Maine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994?
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, new to the forum and have a unique situation. I do not own a Ranger however my 1964 Austin FX4 London Taxi has had a 2.3 ranger engine fitted for better economy and reliability...until now unfortunately. Long story short...I hit a large pothole after fueling up which split open a fuel line (Maine has big potholes and this was unavoidable). It also jarred the inertia switch to trip. Both no big deal or so I thought. I reset the inertia switch replaced the broken line and tried to start. No dice. No fuel pump noise either. Checked fuses and noted the ECM fuse had blown. Replace fuse...blew again. I have since checked wiring and grounds to the fuel pump, and cleaned up some of them if they looked suspect. Checked for broken wires to the ecm and replaced a nasty looking splice. I swapped the inertia switch as well and noted that the grey/orange wire from it has been cut and taped (from what I understand this is to a dashboard warning light that obviously my cab does not have, not sure if that’s true.). I also checked the ignition switch and behind the dash for chaffing and found nothing. I am sort of at a loss as I do not work on cars with all these control modules as on this (we own a fleet of classic cars we use for weddings and the cab is one of our most popular) and I really could use some help in how to test if it is the ecm causing the fuse to blow and the fuel pump to not run. I have the numbers to the ecm but am not sure if this is an identification label if it needs to be replaced. Thank you very much in advance

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The numbers on that label will help ID the unit when it needs replaced. There should be a particular one that takes the form of XXXX-12A650-XX. That one is the Ford part number, the rest give information about the calibration and software revision level.

The best way to test if a failed component is causing a fuse to blow is to find ALL components serviced by the fuse, unhook all of them, and turn the key on. If the fuse blows then it is a wiring issue. If it doesn't, start hooking things up one at a time until it does. Do NOT connect the computer plug while the key is on, that is a good way to damage it if it isn't already.

Drive Maine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994?
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the response, so I disconnected the ecm wiring (the large one with the pins) and put another fuse in the #2 position and turned the ignition on and the fuse still blew. I am thinking that the ecm is out of the equation as the fault as only the other components that this fuse is used with are still hooked up. I believe this engine to be out of a ‘97 Ranger. Would there be a reference to the components used in conjunction with this fuse be available.....and to think my British car wiring was bad! I’m in a whole new world with these more modern computers!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals