• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger GT Specifications, Information and History

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
interesting. mine states 3.73 Limited slip....

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright now that the crazy busy holiday is done and over with. Time for me to get back on track here.

Still waiting to hear back from Ford Canada. Should have a reply with some results within the next few weeks hopefully. I have quite a bit written up already on my own Article for the GT.

Stay tuned. If I come across anymore info that we dont already know ill post it here.

Matt

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright.... Back from the dead..again!

Just got a Email from a guy at Ford Customer Service Canada who sent my email off regarding production numbers and GT related information to a Ford Senior Archivist.

With this they gave me information on the 866A and 942 order codes, the GT Package.

Also they gave me in PDF Format, Ford Ranger Source Books for 87,88 and 89. All books have information on the GTs which have all colors listed for each model year. Options and Standard Equipment for the GT and which options or features that were added or deleted per model year. Doesnt just include the GT, has all ford ranger models in there as well. But im focusing only on the GT.

Production numbers are still up in the air. They are still digging for the numbers but are having a hard time where its a Option package instead of a trim or model. So production numbers may never be revealed as shorangerbird mentioned earlier.

Stay tuned guys! Still havent given up on this, just takes alot of time doing research! Now off to do some reading :)

Matt

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that site is long gone. It was just my own gatherings though...and not any "official" information. AFAIK, automatic trans came with 4.10 LSD and manuals had 3.73 open or 3.45. Ive never had a GT with 3.45 but have had several with 3.73 open. My GT has a 4.10 LS but of course I converted it to a manual trans several years ago after the A4LD lost overdrive.
Limited slip was still optional and ford didn't sell any V6 Rangers
with a manual transmission AND 4.10's until '95-ish

AD

1989LongbedGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im still around here lol. Going through alot of crap here at home, plus my little Girl was born at the start of the month :) so my time is quite occupied right now lol.

Just started yesterday doing some repairs on the Ground Effects for the GT. Gonna gather more parts and start back at it again.

Matt

WALLACE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 Buick Grand
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys
JUst a little chime in from me.
I purchased a brand new Ranger GT in 1988. It was a 1989 long box, 5 speed with Light Crystal Blue Mattalic paint. All one color no 2 tone.

As we speak I got a email from one of my customers asking me if I was still interested in his 89 Long Box Gt.
I cant make the purchase right at this minute as I just bought 2 company trucks.

If anyone is interested in it he wants $8,500. let me know.

Also if any has ever seen my 89 gt let me know if its still around.
It had a lund visor,racerback wing and a turbo hood scoop.
I try and find some pictures of mine.

Ohh yes one other comment.. There is a Gt in a junk yard near me. Its a 88 style long box. Not much of anything left to it.

markytracy1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they were Enkeis. p.o. put them on there. sold them on another truck 2-3 years ago. truck currently has mustang bullitt wheels on it. correct on the figures. if it was a VIN code as with the old muscle cars, it would be simple. but the mass production is to great these days. i've been with Ford for almost 20 years now. if there was a way to know, i hope i would have found it by now. EVERY GT ive owned (thats about 8 or 9 i guess) whether parts truck or running, lwb - 3:45, swb - 3:73 never been any deviation. only trac loc......
My 88 GT has those same 16" wheels. They sure look alot like Saleen wheels for 1988. And yes, Saleens were converted to 5 lug axles. I bought the truck from the original owner and he said they were on there when he bought it off the lot. It has all options except AC(darn!) and is a long bed with 3.73 gears. It even had an amp and speakers mounted behind the bench seat. Boston Accoustic speakers and show a production date of 1988! I have read a number of times that production numbers were 3,000 total for all the years combined. Even ONE brown GT built for UPS, which they still have I heard. My brother worked for Ford as a salesman for 18 years and after I bought my truck, he had searched for info on it and came up somehow with 226 white GTs built(mine is white). Some of the old guys that had been around Ford during the late 80's had never even seen a GT but had heard of them.

1989RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any new news on the Ranger GT findings I own a 1989 black one & have been messed around on the Title Issue. Mine Stated Ranger GT till I had It put in my name when the DMV removed the "GT" from the Title, which I became very upset about and asked why they removed it and they said because there computer system doesn't go back that far & they couldn't redo it without void that title, but they refused to put the "GT" back on the Title so I bought a "DELUXE" build sheet from shopfordgear.com which I called about and they told me that it'd have all the production numbers for that year but it didn't show any "GT" rangers Built...very dissapointed and I told the DMV if I would've changed or made one mistake they wouldn't have issued me a Title I'd have to had the previous owner get a duplicate and start over but they can remove something to me that was very important and that's acceptable. I could understand if I was requesting something that wasn't on the Title like it to state it was a "GT" but it was on there till I put it in my name I even have pictures of that Title

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so I bought a "DELUXE" build sheet from shopfordgear.com which I called about and they told me that it'd have all the production numbers for that year but it didn't show any "GT" rangers Built...very dissapointed
-Again, as i have stated before, the Ranger GT was not a 'model'. henceforth there is NO way there can be ANY official production count. only hear-say rumors. I have been with Ford for over 20 years. no such data exsists that anyone has "seen" or put there hands on. there were only 4 Ranger models back then. S, XL, XLT & STX.....GT is a PACKAGE that was an OPTION on the STX model. its like ordering tinted or clear glass. ones standard, ones an option. no way to tell what it had with out looking at it or having a build sheet. thats the only way to know......hope that helps.

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 88 GT has those same 16" wheels. They sure look alot like Saleen wheels for 1988. And yes, Saleens were converted to 5 lug axles. I bought the truck from the original owner and he said they were on there when he bought it off the lot. It has all options except AC(darn!) and is a long bed with 3.73 gears. It even had an amp and speakers mounted behind the bench seat. Boston Accoustic speakers and show a production date of 1988! I have read a number of times that production numbers were 3,000 total for all the years combined. Even ONE brown GT built for UPS, which they still have I heard. My brother worked for Ford as a salesman for 18 years and after I bought my truck, he had searched for info on it and came up somehow with 226 white GTs built(mine is white). Some of the old guys that had been around Ford during the late 80's had never even seen a GT but had heard of them.
-not worth a response. dealer or owner installed. no if ands or buts. never any UPS builds. this was the 80's!!!!sheeesh.

saabturbo9-3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just checked mine today and i got a code of f7. so that means it has 4.10s right. is that betrer or worse. i am selling this truck by the way. 900$ or i will part it out. 830 285 0347

shorangerbird

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just checked mine today and i got a code of f7. so that means it has 4.10s right. is that betrer or worse. i am selling this truck by the way. 900$ or i will part it out. 830 285 0347
-F7 is 4.10s. good for off the line. bad for gas mileage.....

longbedGTs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As far as the UPS rumor goes...it's just a rumor. I've owned a brown '88 GT(which I sold to shorangerbird) and it's just a color that AFAIK has no significance to any company. Also, I've been collecting Ranger GT pics since 2002 and have 3 pictures of brown GTs all the same shade of brown.

Last edited:

scotman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed
Production numbers must have been around five percent or less...

I bought a new 88 ranger short bed and passed on the GT package because the cost was really excessive. Given the market that truck was aimed at, I was surprised that Ford didn't offer it as a lowered basic Ranger with ground effects. I think they would have sold many of them if they had just not forced all the extra stuff into the truck. I was impressed by how well the body kit pieces fit on the three GT Rangers I had an opportunity to see on sales lots.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals