• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger step side not splash

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My '88 stepside bed looks the same as your '88, at least for the parts I can see. Mine has that same rear step area. It also has the twin tube bumper, which mounts through a couple slots below the tailgate. You seem to have some plastic covers over this area.
Graphics are different, and mine has a lot of areas covered with diamond plate that I haven't seen on the others in this thread. They are cut and formed to fit the cab and bed body. The only addition to the outside that my dad added was a full sheet of aluminum diamond plate that covers the top of the bed opening. I think it cost him $300-$400 twenty years ago. Thick enough that I stacked a full set of mounted tires with a couple spares on top, that I brought home with me.

I'll try to remember to take some photos when the sun is up. Raining for a couple days.

jovibuilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe they modified the bed and ditched the rear step so they could add the wrap around style tube bumper?

Jim I dont think so. I have two of each style. And the lip/flare around the wheel well is totally different. Different enough for me to think it a different mold. The ones without the step came from Choo Choo customs in TN. That is what a older man that worked for the local ford dealership remembered. The molds that Pete picked up for me in MI also came with a mold for the inside box. Huge and on wheels. Maybe one day I will have time to make a bed. Right now I am making patch panels with them. To fix some shoddy repair on two of the beds I have.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Rare Southern Coach first gen stepside FOR SALE RIGHT NOW on ebay...
1988 Ford Ranger XLT | eBay
I'm guessing it's your truck since you and @LeftHander have the same IP address?

Cool truck and good luck with the sale. It's very similar to my '87. Are your silver graphics painted on or are they vinyl? Mine are painted on. The bed on yours looks very similar to mine except I don't have the metal floor... I'm curious what the history on Southern Coach is, from what I was able to find, RDI (the company that made mine) supplied beds or molds for beds to another company. Funny that the paint scheme on yours is so similar to mine though.

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Shran,
are you sure yours is paint? I had an '88 supercab 4x4 in the early 90's that had some mild stripe graphics on the sides that was a decal kit from Ford. They were required to be clearcoated after installation, IIRC. Might have been a FX4, or something like that. Your stripes would be a LOT of paint work, which would be expensive. I'm pretty sure the silver on my Southern Coach Ranger is paint, as that would be fairly easy to spray, and I have never seen Ford make a decal kit like that.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Shran,
are you sure yours is paint? I had an '88 supercab 4x4 in the early 90's that had some mild stripe graphics on the sides that was a decal kit from Ford. They were required to be clearcoated after installation, IIRC. Might have been a FX4, or something like that. Your stripes would be a LOT of paint work, which would be expensive. I'm pretty sure the silver on my Southern Coach Ranger is paint, as that would be fairly easy to spray, and I have never seen Ford make a decal kit like that.
Yep, the graphics on mine are for sure painted on... I'm repainting the bed, they just sand right off. It would have been pretty easy to paint that back in the 80's before clear coat was regularly used... Mask off, scuff and spray you color of choice over the OEM single stage. Quite a bit more involved to do that these days.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I was just fine until I saw this. Now I want one bad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals