• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rant: Slave Cylinder

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I finally pulled my transmission back out AGAIN and I found why my hydraulic system wasn't working. The seal on the main body of the slave cylinder was junk and gushing out fluid. When I pulled the transmission all of the brake fluid that leaked and puddled on the bottom of the bellhousing fell onto me. That was nice.

So, the "new" slave cylinder I bought was junk, and I just put another one in. Why couldn't Ford do it like almost EVERYONE else does it and put the fing thing on the outside of the bellhousing?

Anyway, I just had to rant. I'm going to put a bullet in this truck if the slave I just put in starts leaking. We'll see tomorrow.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
glad to hear you got that changed out, now get it all bled and start driving that sucker so we can go back out to winchendon soon and bring you along this time. Oh hey we should get together and hang out sometime and I can give you my old shifter boot with the two cupholders on it if you want, with the extra stick I now have there's no use for it anymore.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The after market sells hydraulic clutch systems for race cars. They are based on the Ranger system. Somebody must like them.
Just another Ford part you have to use to make a Chevy go faster.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TireIron, thanks for all your help man. I hope to be driving it today. Also, I would love your shift boot with the cupholders, that would be great. I'll give you a call soon and we can hang out.

MutantPony, I do understand why they did it, it's more efficient and you get a better response. However, for everyday driving, especially in a truck, that little bit of extra efficiency isn't worth the hassle of taking out the transmission to replace a slave cylinder.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The concentric design is FAR better than the lever design. The bearing sees only direct forces and doesn't chew up the pressure plate, even after 100K miles of continuous contact. Try that on a throwout lever, and you won't like the results.

This rant really should be about the company that sold you the "new" DOA slave cylinder. That's a quality problem. And there is no excuse for it. Was it a reman, perhaps?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well don't feel bad because I may have to pull my tranny again just to replace the throwout bearing. I only replaced this slave about 2-3 months ago (along with all the other clutch components) and after I fixed my A/C the bearing started making a rattling noise.

On a happy note: The clutch works great otherwise!

Allen

03RangerGirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fun day for Brian

I hope your boss didn't shoot himself when you had to take out the tranny again...his tolerance for your truck is pretty much non existant now. How far did we get you home that day, I hope you didn't have to join the marathon to find your way lol :p

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The concentric design is FAR better than the lever design. The bearing sees only direct forces and doesn't chew up the pressure plate, even after 100K miles of continuous contact. Try that on a throwout lever, and you won't like the results.
I just did a new clutch and rear main in my buddy's 95 mustang gt. Two days later, we had to pull it all again because of a bad throwout bearing. I even spun it before and it sounded just fine but it sure went to hell fast. New one works fine.

The throwout bearing rides on the input shaft housing so it can't see anything but a direct thrust load as well. The shift fork slips back and forth on the bearing housing but that won't affect the pressure plate. I will admit I have not seen many different clutch set-up styles. Are there designs where the bearing actually slips on the pressure plate?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,

I understand the concentric design is better is some respects, but when it comes to ease nothing beats the external slave design. I can have that out and in in no time, it's easy.

It wasn't a reman either, bought brand new. I'm going through the process right now of recovering my labor costs.

My boss is about ready to put a .40 caliber bullet into my truck. We've been bleeding it all day today and it will only go into 4th gear. I guess I'm getting somewhere. Man these things SUCK.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
did you pull the master back out and get the air back out of that like I suggested? If you don't you will NEVER get a good release from it. If your boss is tired of it I could swing by and give you a hand with it again sometime if you want, just give me a call and let me know.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you pull the master back out and get the air back out of that like I suggested? If you don't you will NEVER get a good release from it. If your boss is tired of it I could swing by and give you a hand with it again sometime if you want, just give me a call and let me know.
hey jay,

Yeah I might take you up on it. I unbolted the master and tried bleeding it, but no air bubbles came up. I figured it was bled after 30 minutes of twisting it around, so I put it back in.

I've been bleeding the slave so far, and I've got good movement on the throwout bearing. However, it's not quite enough and I have to force it into gear still. I'll give you a call in the next week or two....thanks a ton!

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea just give me a call, I should be out of work around 4ish each day this week and dont have anything planned any night as of now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals