• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really, really bad forced induction idea...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Best thing about the 4 cyl probes, was getting the nice billet ford tag off the valve cover. I give you lots of credit with your supercharging project, very unique, wish you much success.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A few housekeeping items:

MAF idea is dead. Can't get a California emissions ECU that isn't a horrible P.O.S. Megasquirt/Microsquirt or Speeduino it is. Anyone wanna buy some 2.9 MAF sensors? ?

Found a Merkur Scorpio air box. When it arrived, it was a lid and tubes. No box. Freaking eBay... So, found this on amazon:

Screenshot_20190503-160258.png

Not exactly an elegant solution, and waaaay too freaking expensive, but it will let me use the Scorpio plenum with a stupid cone filter for now, and attach the intercooler plumbing later.

I've done some reading on throttle bodies both before and after the blower. Have read pros and cons for both. Interested in opinions.

I am planning on running the blower with its electronic clutch and use the Mercedes bypass valves for boost control and to kick it into natural aspiration for idle, same as it was in the C230. If I can't get the C230 bypasses to work, Bosch apparently makes mechanical ones that are respectable.

I had considered using the electric fan relay on the Microsquirt to control the supercharger clutch. Not sure if it would work; would depend on the input parameters. If not, I chopped a MSD rpm switch out of a riced-out Nissan at the boneyard the other day. SOB had a nitrous kit on it. Looked like someone had beat me to the bottle, and whomever grabbed it took a pair of bolt cutters to all of the like-new steel braided hoses connecting the kit into the car. Why you would ever chop up all that good tubing... Guess ricers all have the same level of intellect.

Last edited:

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-9l-turbo.60282/#post-541839

Let me know if that link takes you to a thread. That's where most of the info is.

Pumps are hi pressure in tank and a Vortex T-Rex rail pump.
Stock speed density ECU
I used a Crane Spark Re tard box and an Adjsutable Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator from CarTech.
It runs 17psi.
Appreciate that.

For those that read this without context, @DCinDC built one of the only successful 2.9l turbo Rangers I have read about. I was missing some details about his build that will greatly help in mine.

I found a spare fuel pump out of a full size Bronco knocking around the parts hoarde I'm helping to break up. Need to figure out if it will fit Ranger and be high enough volume. Part number XL3Z-9H307-EA on box, F7AU-9350-AA on pump.

Thanks again for the info!!

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When using an FPR you need to use a fuel pump that is spec'd for hi pressure. Usually has a HP in it's part number. These are available anywhere now, even ebay, cheap. Since the FPR closes the return line the FP spikes and the pump needs to be able to pump into that back pressure. My FP spikes well over 100 psi under boot. You can cheap out on the pump but not on the FPR. Get it from Cartech.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When using an FPR you need to use a fuel pump that is spec'd for hi pressure. Usually has a HP in it's part number. These are available anywhere now, even ebay, cheap. Since the FPR closes the return line the FP spikes and the pump needs to be able to pump into that back pressure. My FP spikes well over 100 psi under boot. You can cheap out on the pump but not on the FPR. Get it from Cartech.
Copy. These are the things I was unsure about. First time adding forced induction to an engine.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Reading up on the fuel management unit. I take it that this is the one you used?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Just a few more notes.

Talked with EFI Source yesterday about a microsquirt. Looks like the route I'm going to go.

Getting better at the compressor map math on my end. May have to have a new crank pulley made for higher overdrive. Talked to a machine shop about crank pulleys. Can have a bolt on crank pulley made up to give me a 2:1 drive ratio without any trouble. The problem is that I would have to have 10 made. Ugh.

Will post later about FMU vs injector questions. Have one that I can't get a straight answer on.

Oh, and x-post from another thread. My twin throttle body adapter showed up. I think it looks phallic. Seems @Bird76Mojo and @Ranger850 disagree.

_20190506_173615.JPG

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear EFI Source got back to you

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well, Megasquirt DIYPNP 1.5 and 24lb Bosch 4 hole injectors out of a Saleen Mustang inbound...

Here we go :headbang:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Post up as much of your install and tuning as you can. I'm extremely curious about these systems.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Post up as much of your install and tuning as you can. I'm extremely curious about these systems.
Already planned on posting EVERYTHING. Base tune, install, all of it.

Cannot wait to see the difference it makes even without the supercharger.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Saleen four hole 24lb injectors are here.

_20190521_084120.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals