• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Antilock Brake Light and Cruise Control?

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello forum,

I am new to the site. I have a 1989 4x4 2.9 Ranger. Truck is all original and in good shape. Daily driver with over 200,000 miles. I recently replaced the starter and solenoid. During the test drive the rear antilock brake light came on and the cruise control stopped working. Not sure what I could of influenced to cause this. The wire that is near the starter that exits from the oil pan (I am assuming a oil level sensor did get disturbed). Could this influence the antilock light?
I replaced the rear sensor that attaches to the rear end. It did not make a difference.

Also checked the fuses under the dash.

Any advise would sure be appreciated.
Thank you,

John
Big Island Hawaii

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Pono, very nice truck! Welcome to TRS :)
It's well after midnight here in central US, I suppose you've stepped out to watch the sun set, must be nice.
I can't help with a solution, but in time someone surely will

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome, and that's a nice Ranger you got there.

Considering that the antilock light and cruise not working seem related, a couple of things to check are:

Are you brake lights functioning correctly? Both systems use the brake on/off (BOO) switch.

Make sure that the wiring plug on the fluid reservoir didn't get dislodged when you changed the starter. Low fluid level should throw the red brake light, but the antilock indicator light also touches this switch.

Is your parking brake indicator functioning? (red brake light when applied, key on). This shouldn't affect the cruise, but it can affect the antilock.

A fault code can be pulled from the antilock system via the antilock light, but it just seems too much of a coincidence that you have cruise and antilock issues after an unrelated repair.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mahalo for the replies. On the road until after TG. Will check out your advise Robbie when I get home. Nice list of new Rangers buy the way!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Have a great and safe holiday, and do let us know what you find when you can get back to it.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Had a chance to trouble shoot a few items on the Ranger. Checked the brake reservoir level and connector, removed the wire on the engine oil sensor and checked it since it is near the starter and I could have dislodged it. I actually removed it and grounded it to see if I would get a check oil indication. Checked fine. Rear brake lights work fine. Parking brake indicator is working fine. Will try and get a code of the anti lock brake light next.

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I also replaced the magnetic sensor on the rear differential. Do you guys think I should take the cover off the back and clean the pick up ring?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the ring is bathed in gear lube as it rotates. I would not expect it to be contaminated.
in the new-problem-after-work situation I would look for a dislodged wire or connector near wherever you had your hands/tools under the truck.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good to hear back from you, Pono. Sounds like you've covered some good ground troubleshooting so far. But I have to agree with the previous, to double-check anywhere you may have been when you changed the starter and solenoid. And it would be a good idea to check what antilock fault code is present. Good luck!

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I used a short wire to plug into the OBD plug and pulled code 67 which I believe is the neutral safety switch. This may have been due to it not being in neutral when checking the codes. Nothing came up associated with the rear antilock brake light. Wondering will the code show up if the rear antilock brake light is not on. It takes driving the truck for ten to fifteen minutes before the light comes on. Once I turn the key off the light turns off. So maybe the jumper wire will not work in this case since I need to count the number of times the check engine light comes on once I turn the key back on.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Getting a code for the yellow antilock light being on is different than pulling OBD codes, and the light does have to be on. These four pages (from the 1989 Ranger shop manual) will get you started in the right direction. The RABS diagnostic connector should be easy to find, where your main harness comes in through the firewall behind the fusebox. You should be able to download these pages and enlarge them enough to read. The factory instructions are pretty clear, and once you have a RABS diagnostic code we can go from there. Read through these pages and note how the red "brake" light and the yellow "RABS" light are both used to diagnose the system.

1989 RABS code a.jpg
1989 RABS code b.jpg
1989 RABS code chart.jpg
1989 RABS troubleshoot.jpg

One more question: are your rear brakes in good shape, or are the rear brake shoes close to needing replacement?

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good information Robbie. Thank you. Will inspect rear brakes. Will get to work on the documents sent also.
John

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I copied your pics. Thanks.
Getting a code for the yellow antilock light being on is different than pulling OBD codes, and the light does have to be on. These four pages (from the 1989 Ranger shop manual) will get you started in the right direction. The RABS diagnostic connector should be easy to find, where your main harness comes in through the firewall behind the fusebox. You should be able to download these pages and enlarge them enough to read. The factory instructions are pretty clear, and once you have a RABS diagnostic code we can go from there. Read through these pages and note how the red "brake" light and the yellow "RABS" light are both used to diagnose the system.

View attachment 34538
View attachment 34539
View attachment 34540
View attachment 34541

One more question: are your rear brakes in good shape, or are the rear brake shoes close to needing replacement?

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Made some good progress today. The diagnostic connector was easy to find as you mentioned. The code flashed 11 times which indicates "stop lamp circuit defective". I did install some LED bulbs recently. Will do some further research. Your assistance has been incredibly valuable.
-John

Pono

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just check the stop lights. Both working fine. We put the regular 1157 bulbs on later today and see if it is the lack of resistance from the LED bulbs.
-John

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals