• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Stabilizer bar bolts seized

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
While doing spring maintenance on my 1995 RWD, I noted that both bolts connecting the rear stabilizer bar to the links (JY unit and new links I installed a couple years ago) were loose... and the nuts are seized on.

I've tried using two breaker bars, an impact and a breaker bar, and both with penetrating oil to no avial. Short of using a torch (and ruining the bushings) or cutting the heads off with a grinder (Not my first choice, being so close the fuel tank), I'm out of ideas. Obviously I was able to put it together two years ago... why would they have loosned up and seized? I'm pretty sure I torqued them to spec?

I have seen link repair kits on rock auto (in case I do torch it).... but are those for the upper or lower part of the link? Or both?

Anybody have another idea on what to do here? Short of axe the rear stabilizer bar entirely (although honestly I can't say I've noticed much handling difference after adding it).

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wish I had a brilliant idea for you...but I don't. Cut the heads off and use never-seize on the new stuff. Unless you have a leak on the gas tank and smell gas I wouldn't worry about it.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I wish I had a brilliant idea for you...but I don't. Cut the heads off and use never-seize on the new stuff. Unless you have a leak on the gas tank and smell gas I wouldn't worry about it.
I see...

That's OK. I just popped a hole on one of the radius arms (rusted out) so my priorioties shifted. Poor truck. She needs an alignment and tires so I'm trying to get the suspension fixed up first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals